PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 8 March 2015

fragments

'You think I'm overly analytical, don't you?'
'Yes, as it happens, I do.'
'I can't understand why you'd think that.  Can you help me understand exactly what you mean by this?'









'Someone today told me I was intense.  I couldn't believe it.  Intense, me?  I tried to smile, to make a joke, but she could see I was seething.  I wanted to know why she thinks this.  I enjoy a joke like anyone else.  I like having fun, people have fun when they're with me, at least they tell me they do, and I think I'd know if they were lying.  I mean, really - intense, it's not exactly a compliment.  I think folk need to be a bit more careful before using words like that.  Think about the impact such a word could have on someone.  Intense, jeez.  I don't know...  I really don't.'




'Won't say another word, I promise.'
He looks at me sceptically.
'You don't believe me, do you?  I mean it, I won't talk for another hour, longer perhaps.'
He smiles affectionately.
'I can do it.  I'll show you, not another word.'
He returns to his laptop.
'It a quarter past three.  You won't hear another word out of me before five o'clock, no, let's make it five thirty.'







'



'This is the moment.  I've been putting off long enough.  Here we are, almost mid March - almost ten weeks since I made my New Year's resolution.  And I've lost... I daren't even tell you.....  What's that?  Another gift from your colleagues......... No, I don't know anyone who likes chocolate.  Except me of course.....  Yes, obviously I don't need to eat them.  And you can't help me out because you're diabetic....  Of course I could put them in a cupboard, but what good is that?.... Pass me the scissors, would you, this cellophane's a nightmare to get off.  Why they make chocolates so difficult to get into, I've no idea.




No comments:

Post a Comment