PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 29 March 2015

the delights of eating out in Copenhagen

Read any guide book and it will tell you that Copenhagen is known for its food. Currently it has 15 Michelin-starred restaurants. This notwithstanding, it can take time to find somewhere you want to eat.

This is a restaurant I decided not to patronise.  As well as the off-putting name, the menu was rather fishy - literally.


This one I also chickened out of going to.


The idea of eating deep fried crocodile with ravioli, even dipped in passionfruit and honey sauce, didn't appeal.


Nor could I envisage myself getting stuck into kangaroo fillet, however yummy the Tasmanian pepper sauce.



Where I ended up was CafĂ© Wanna 'B, described as:  Trendy all-day spot for an eclectic menu of home-made burgers and unfussy dishes, plus comedy acts.  My reasons for choosing this were twofold:  firstly it was raining heavily; secondly, I was fascinated by one menu item describing ladies' brunch and the one next to it, men's brunch.

I chose the ladies' brunch, but did wonder what would happen if I'd opted for the men's one.  Would I be subjected to intense interrogation of my sexuality?  Or was this a marketing ploy, like the Yorkie chocolate bar which isn't for girls?

This is what I got for my ladies' brunch: Salad of smoked salmon and pickled tomatoes, some yoghurty thing with cinnamony apples, baked egg (without the advertised spinach -  I didn't make a fuss), homemade leek pie with bacon, sliced fruit salad (only pineapple and melon) with vanilla and orange sauce, crunchy vegs with apple vinaigrette, pancake with maple syrup, freshly baked croissants, Danish Vesthaus cheese, served with two kinds of organic wholemeal bread and butter.  It was so attractively presented that I took a photograph - how original.


The men were promised this:  scrambled egg, fried sausages, fresh fruit salad with vanilla and orange, fried chorizo sausage, fried bacon, baked eggs with spinach, pancakes with maple syrup, fresh baked croissants, jam, Danish Vesthaus cheese with pickled walnuts, slice of Riberhus, slice of turkey.  Served with two kinds of organic wholemeal bread and butter.

It wouldn't take a nutrition expert to realise that the men were to have an overdose of saturated fat: chorizo sausage, fried sausages, slice of turkey, fried bacon.  Obviously so that they could go off and do manly things afterwards: build battleships, chase wild boar.  Whereas we women, with the meat exchanged for a crunchy salad and leek pie and the yoghurt thing, were apparently not to be geared up for such calorific activities.  Well, I ate all of my food (as always), knowing I'd need fortifying for a few more hours walking around the city.






And, in case, anyone is interested, I had the saltiest ever stew and chips in the Big Bravo, yesterday afternoon and spent a big chunk of the remaining day, drinking soft drinks.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment