PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Monday, 6 January 2014

revealing dreams?

Happy New Year!

I am in Grenoble looking after three cats.  I've been here for two weeks, until recently, with family members.

Yesterday I did something really stupid for someone with a back problem.  Being too lazy to actually leave my chair, I reached awkwardly to the floor to pick up something.



Later, lying in bed, I became aware that the aches and pains I'd experienced since skiing, or rather falling, last week, had moved into another realm - a somewhat scary one as from time to time I felt a painful 'something' happening to the right side of my ribcage - a spasm perhaps, something moving?





Familiar with 'sprung' ribs, I thought this had happened again.  For a while I lay, rationalising away the worry - nothing was likely to go horribly wrong during the night.  If I felt bad the next day, I'd contact the physio who treated me during my years here.





Eventually I got up, took a painkiller and several teaspoons of peanut butter - the former to address the pain, the latter purely for comfort, and returned to bed.





After this, I dreamed I was back working for the health service, trying to persuade the powers that be, that in order for the smoking cessation service to function well, we needed a map of what was going on - the overall situation of smoking, what support was being offered and where, and the effectiveness of such support.  Only then could we improve things.



What was striking in this dream was my persistence, dare I say it, my clarity.  I followed the high 'heid yins' around, impressing upon them the need to adopt my approach, acknowledging that although I'd been away from the service for years and may well not be aware of everything that was happening, first and foremost, we must have an overview.










And now I am at my computer - obviously - wondering what this means.  I have no conscious desire to return to my former job, but is there a message here for a need to have something else - apart from writing, editing, promoting - which allows me to deploy the skills which my dream suggested I have?  I wonder.




Meanwhile, today's resolution is simple: look after back, do not do SILLY THINGS.


Jane




2 comments:

  1. So sorry for you with your bad back, it's so limiting and very painful. keep on with the peanut butter, If that's comforting. I'd prefer honey. Hope your dream develops into something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth. Have just taken some Nurofen after a difficult conversation in French with a pharmacy assistant. Hopefully I won't need any peanut butter during the night - it's so bad for my figure! (or what was once a figure....)

    ReplyDelete