PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 29 December 2013

women skiing badly

There's always someone who is slow to get into her ski gear, needs help doing up her boots, plods along at a snail's pace to the chairlift carrying her skis and poles, finds her ski pass isn't accepted by the card reader.  She stumbles rather than glides onto the ski mat, ready to plonk herself on the chair, her ski poles get caught when the safety bar is brought down, she struggles to lean forward when disembarking from the chair.

This someone enjoys skiing slowly, stopping to take photos.  She finds it a strain skiing with faster skiers who urge her on, preferring to go at her own pace.  She will therefore ski four runs to other people's six.  When she falls, she is so unsupple that she has to undo her skies in order for her to get on her feet again.  Then she will take ages scraping the snow off her boot heels so that they can attach to the skis.  She is put off by the sound of ice, feeble when it comes to navigating her way round moguls.  Sometimes she will enjoy the scenery more than the skiing.  This someone is me.

Jane






2 comments:

  1. You are so brave, Jane. If I were a skier, I would be that kind of skier. Charlotte has forbidden me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alison. I await the day when other skiers accept that I'm actually quite happy to be left to ski slowly.

    ReplyDelete