PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Thursday, 19 December 2013

interview with Alana Munro




Alana Munro is the author of the best selling Women Behaving Badly - Exposing the Truth about Female Friendship  and the owner of Reach for the Stars, a company which offers custom book designs and intensive online book marketing.  She has also set up Support-a-Writer, an online support and promoting group for all bloggers, writers and poets with over 500 active members!  Alana lives in Western Australia.



What made you start writing?

I've always enjoyed putting my thoughts down on paper. It has helped me process a lot of my personal experiences. Writing to me is a release, a way to gain insight and understanding about the world around me.


How did you teach yourself to write?

Like anything, practice makes perfect. I've always been a big reader. I love a good book! I'm happiest reading a book. I've studied how other people write and how they play with words. I think every author must read constantly and continue to develop their craft. A writer should never stop learning and exploring words.


Your debut book, Women Behaving Badly - Exposing the Truth about Female Friendship, is drawn from your own relationships with women, but what made you decide to share this experience of female friendships?

I think I had too much hurt twisted up inside that the book was essential for my mental health. I was also bored of reading books full of 'sisterhood' when I wanted to read the truth. Not all female friendships are supportive. I felt it was time to speak the truth. Sometimes - thankfully not always - but sometimes women can really hurt each other. I wanted to delve into my own experiences and explore why some women behave so badly towards other women. What was motivating their negative behaviors? Why do some women find it difficult to nurture other females?

(I have read Women Behaving Badly, by the way,  and would recommend it to anyone who has ever puzzled over problematic 'friendships')


Did you gain much insight into yourself while writing it?

Yes, so much insight. I could see where I had failed personally and what had contributed to yet another failed relationship. It started to become very clear!


Did the writing of it feel therapeutic?

Absolutely. I felt lighter.


Have you received any negative feedback about it?

Not yet, most readers have said they feel liberated by my honesty. Many have contacted me and said, 'I don't feel so alone now, thanks for being so honest. I've been hurt and bullied by women. It's not acceptable how some women behave. Why do we put up with it? I'm pleased you are talking about this.'


You write about toxic friendships, do you also believe in toxic personalities, and can you spot one from a distance?

I believe that some people do have toxic characteristics. There are people who display negative behaviors. Can I spot these people? I am getting better. I used to be rubbish. I'd be sucked in and fooled every time! I guess people who have toxic characteristics are typically good at 'hiding' behind a mask and 'charming' us. It's easy to be swept up by their 'greatness' and blinded. I guess most of us want to believe that people are 'good' and it can be a horrible shock to realize that some people are toxic.


Do you have a different approach now to forming friendships with women?

I am much more cautious these days. I don't just fall 'head over heels' in love with women anymore. I keep a safe distance until I feel comfortable and sure that she is a actually someone who could be a friend. I don't jump in anymore! I think that's key - women need to slow down with their friendships. Take it slowly. I used to rush in, desperate to connect. I see this with many women. We're too keen to get deep early on! It's better to take things slowly and really suss people out.


What advice would you give a new writer?

Write and read lots, connect with other people who write. It is vital to form supportive connections with other people who write. It will be a long and hard road without the support of your writer peers.


What prompted you to set up ‘Support a Writer’?

I felt like I wanted to reach out and meet other people like me. I didn't know any writers, authors, bloggers or poets. So I thought, 'OK this could work!' I have over 700 members now. It has been the best move ever, Jane. I've made so many new and interesting friends through my support group.


Were there any unexpected difficulties in getting this off the ground? 

Not really. I struck gold! I somehow managed to connect with very supportive writers/bloggers/authors who were very keen to see my group take off. They were excited to see things move forward and grow. I've been incredibly blessed. The people in my group are wonderful people.


With three hats: author, owner of Reach for the Stars and Support a Writer - do you have to be very organised/structured during your working day? 

I do. I have three kids too so I am a busy bee! I usually check/reply to emails and messages on my blog every morning. That can take 2 hours as I get a lot of requests and feedback. For me it is all about breaking up the day and making this work for my personal family life. I take my toddler out, have fun with him and then catch up on emails, market authors, check any messages later on in the day again once I have tired my toddler out!


What do you believe is key to successful online marketing? 

Marketing is constant! It has to be. It's a huge market and there are so many people screaming for our attention. So how do we stand out? Be real, be human. I think it is important with online marketing to truly engage with people and not just say, 'Buy my book!' over and over. That doesn't work. People become bored and tune out. We need to be creative. We need to talk about things that interest people and gently point them towards your book.


How can readers connect with you?

Please check out my blog. It's very active and I have a fantastic following. To find out more please head to my blog: http://alanamunroauthor.com/
You can also follow me on social media:
Be sure to follow me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/AMauthor



No comments:

Post a Comment