PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Tuesday, 28 January 2014

interview with Catherine Broughton




Catherine Broughton is a published author, blogger, poet and artist.  Of English descent, she was born in South Africa but spent her childhood in many parts of the world as her father was a tropical disease specialist.  Later in life, with her own family, she has lived abroad and continued to travel. In the late 80’s she and her husband and three small children moved to France.  Today she runs a group of holiday cottages near La Rochelle in North Western France.

Reading through the information on your website, Catherine, it’s hard to know where to start this interview.  My first reaction is that I hope you plan to write your memoirs – if you haven’t already begun.


You had an exciting childhood in terms of living in many different countries.  How much do you think this upbringing has affected the sort of person you are today?

I expect it has affected everything about me !  If you move around a lot as a child you become very adaptable and self-confident.  It probably also makes you more knowledgeable - perhaps not in a standard educational way, in in an overall way.


Do you believe that if you grow up in different countries this produces an insatiable wanderlust?

They say that if you have lived abroad a great deal you never really settle anywhere and that you never decide which country is "home".  I think a lot of travel when young takes away any misgivings about travel, so you automatically tend to travel more


Which childhood country did you enjoy the most ?

New Caledonia in the South Pacific.  My book French Sand  is set there.


What made you start writing?

I wrote my very first book when I was seven - not published - mark you, I have never tried to get it published.  Perhaps I should!


What sort of novels do you write?

My "soul" is in the book A Call from France which is a true story.  The others are fiction, aimed essentially (though not necessarily) at women readers


What does writing mean to you?

I don't know that writing has any particular meaning for me ... I have no burning desire to write ... I just do.


Does being an artist stimulate you to write or vice versa?

For me drawing and writing are two separate things; they don't connect in any way.


How did you teach yourself to write?

I am not aware of having taught myself ... I was good at essays at school.  I think I may have done English "A" level, but I honestly can't remember!  A writer learns most from reading other people's books.


What are the hardest aspect of being a writer?

The hardest part is the rejections - one after another.  


What advice would you give a new writer?

New writers must realize that no matter how good (or how bad!) their book is, rejections do not mean failure.  It means only and uniquely, that the tiny bit of typescript one solitary editor saw that particular moment didn't hit the mark.  That is all.  Writers also need to know that the tiniest % of writers have any success of any note.  It is not a way to earn money!


You say that travelling has influenced your writing.  Could you tell me more about that?

My books are all set in expat situations, so my life of travel has affected my writing in that way.


Do you find that your two different occupations - running the holiday cottages and writing – complement each other?

The cottages keep me stunningly busy in the summer, and then leave me free to do more arty things in the winter.  Most of my travelling is done in the winter too.


You’ve learned much about online marketing and social networking.  Any tips you can share with readers on how to promote their work?

New writers need to know that they have to target millions, seriously millions, and the more they can learn about the internet the better.

What do you think the future holds for you?

For the future I just want quiet happy times with my family, no more.


How can readers connect with you?

People can contact me by hitting the contact button on turquoisemoon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment