Ali Bacon is the author of Kettle of Fish, and one of the contributors to the recently
published Unchained, an anthology of poetry and fiction published to
celebrate the 400th anniversary of Bristol’s original chained library. I interviewed her in summer 2012, shortly before her first book was published,
and was interested to learn if and how her writing life has changed since then.
It’s just over a year
since your debut novel, Kettle of Fish, was epublished by ThornBerry. How has
your writing life/life in general changed? Is this how you predicted it
might be after being published?
Well it does seem to have changed now, although it has been
gradual. I think because Kettle came out first as an e-book, there was a
slight feeling of anticlimax. I did a
lot of promotion online – a blog tour and lots of blog swaps for instance, but
in everyday situations not a lot changed.
A few months after that when I published the paperback (which I did
myself with support from Thornberry) I could at last wave the finished product
around and also felt more motivated to go out and sell it. This is when I got
involved in a few ‘author events’ and
lo, I started to feel like an author, which I suppose was the point of it
all. By the way I never expected to get
rich on the proceeds - which is just as well!
I’m assuming that most
of these changes have been positive.
Have there been negative ones?
Although I’m beginning to get
used to it, I find promotional activities sap my energy on all levels. Online promotion
is less energy-consuming but of course now that we are all permanently hooked
up to the internet the distraction is always with us. How much tweeting and
facebooking is ‘promotional work’ and how much is just faffing around? (You can
guess the answer that’s in my head!)
Something else I didn’t
anticipate is that since Kettle had been finished for some time before it came
out, it felt odd to be talking about a story that for me had come to an end. I
still sometimes find it difficult to put myself in the mindset of the author of
that particular book when people ask me about it!
Is your perception of
yourself as a writer different to how it was in your pre-published days?
I think this is the biggest change, and one that has taken a
little while to sink in. In the spring I did an author event in a local
library which led to my being asked to deliver a workshop in the autumn as part
of a local arts/creativity season. Suddenly I was the ‘expert’. That was scary but
also brought the realisation that I really am in a different place now. Promoting
Unchained has also been part of this process as I am billed as one of our group’s
published authors rather than just someone who writes – which is how I have
seen myself up to now.
Which promotional
activities do you reckon have been most effective in stimulating book sales?
Very hard to say, especially in terms of online promotion
where it’s hard to know if/when sales are affected. In this respect there may
be advantages to being self-published as sales figures are, I think, easier to
access for publishers.
For ‘hand sales’ my most successful event was a visit to the Wickhambrook WI literary lunch, but then it was organised by my sister!
Having had a highly successful book launch for Unchained, I feel I missed a trick in not having one for Kettle. Of course Unchained had a team of ten writers contributing, but I do have a clearer idea of
what’s needed for a ‘good do’.
Are you managing to
find a balance between writing and promoting?
Now that the ‘excitement’ of
social media is wearing off, it’s
becoming easier to set aside time for writing – winter weather also has its
compensations! However I do feel that in some ways there is no going back from
the task of promoting what I have written. Having announced myself as a writer, I feel a responsibility not just to myself but also to my fellow writers to maintain some kind of
profile, and as well to encourage one or two beginning writers I’ve met
recently who’ve asked for advice. I’d
like to think I can also be more productive in my writing time, but that’s not
yet proven.
Any tips/advice to newly-published authors in how to promote their
work?
I heard recently that for someone to buy a book they
probably have to have seen it or heard it mentioned five or six times. If you
are an ‘indie’ author who’s unlikely to get a mainstream press review or be in
the front of a bookshop chain, that’s
going to be hard work and I think the message is simply to keep going. It also
means that a lot of work needs to happen close to home and I am slowly building
up local contacts. The launch of Unchained
has helped with this and I am now writing a column for a community magazine
- not great literature and only a token
payment, but useful for getting my name out there.
Thanks for the chance to reflect
on a busy year, Jane, and good luck with your own new publishing venture.
Ali’s website and blog: http://alibacon.com
Twitter @AliBacon
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/AKettleOfFish
Twitter @AliBacon
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/AKettleOfFish
A Kettle of Fish is a rollercoaster family drama set in Scotland
Buy A Kettle of Fish from Amazon
UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Kettle-of-Fish-ebook/dp/B009M7FWKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1350203508&sr=1-1
Print edition: ISBN 9781781768624
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Kettle-of-Fish-ebook/dp/B009M7FWKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1350203508&sr=1-1
Print edition: ISBN 9781781768624
Unchained: A Collection of Fiction & Poetry by Bristol Women Writers
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unchained-Collection-Fiction-Bristol-Writers/dp/1906477779/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1384773937&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=unchained+anthology
No comments:
Post a Comment