Beth Elliot writes Regency set historical tales “with a dash of adventure and a happy ending.” Some tales are Ottoman regencies, “with a hint of eastern promise”. To date, she has four published novels: The Rake’s Challenge, April and May, In All Honour and The Wild Card. She also writes travel articles. Beth lives in Reading,UK.What does writing mean to you?
Writing has always been my preferred form of communication. It gives me time to arrange my thoughts clearly, and to use words to create pictures and effects.
How did you teach yourself to write?
From primary school days, I've been writing stories. Give me a subject and at once there's a set of scenes in my mind. But since I began writing novel length work, I've followed writing courses and read some excellent books to improve my skills in crafting a story.
What do you think are the hardest aspects of the craft to learn?
Creating a balanced plot is a skill that I've not yet mastered. Some of my characters disappear or don't get a full story arc. Pace is another skill that needs a lot of work.
How much have you been influenced by Jane Austen’s work?
A great deal. I first read 'Pride and Prejudice' when I was twelve and I longed to have Elizabeth as my own older sister. Now when I reread an Austen novel I can always discover something more to interest or amuse me. And as I live close to Chawton, I visit from time to time and soak up the atmosphere there.
You describe yourself as a traveller as well as a writer. Is there a strong link between the two, for you?
I like my stories to take place in exotic or mysterious settings, but only using places I have seen. In that sense, the travelling meshes with the writing. Visiting ancient sites sometimes makes me feel I'm travelling in time as well as place.
What traps can travel writers fall into?
Never be negative. I would say that while the writer needs to be truthful about the site and its conditions, the account should always be positive. Find some aspect of the place that can be praised.
Do you have a routine where your writing is concerned?
My general plan is to write in the late evening, when there will be no interruptions. However, if a scene isn't right it will nag me through the night. Then I go straight to the computer in the morning and keep writing until the problem is sorted. My characters come to life about Chapter 4. At that point they take over and I may have to go back and adjust the beginning. And of course there are research trips - to Istanbul to see a delightful little palace on the Golden Horn, and to a chateau in the Pyrenees, both for my last story, Scandalous Lady.
Do you give your work to critics for feedback?
I belong to a writers' circle, where I get criticism and helpful comments. I also have a 'buddy' who has a wonderful sense of what is and is not working in the story.
There are times when no ideas will work and what I've written seems to be total rubbish. Either I leave it all for a few days or I do some reading research. It does make me miserable when it happens but eventually things get back to normal - for a writer.
What advice would you give to beginning writers?
If you want to write, just do it. Never throw anything away. What seems absolute rubbish when you've just written it will seem a lot better in a week's time. And it can always be altered, added to and adapted. Just keep going. Try short pieces of fiction or articles and soon you'll find what length of story you can write best. Join a writers' group for moral support.
What are your future writing plans?
My current WIP is the story of a Rake who becomes a diplomat in the secret struggle to get rid of Napoleon and restore the Bourbon kings. I'm also working on a retelling of the story of Lancelot, as I'm very fond of medieval romances.
And next year I'm off to visit Albania.
How can readers connect with you?
Via my website - www.bethelliott.webs.com
or my blog - http://regencytales.blogspot. com
I'm also on Facebook and Twitter.
Many thanks to Jane for inviting me to take part in this interview. I hope to meet up with her again soon for a return chat on my Blog.
www.bethelliott.webs.com
April and May with a touch of Eastern promise May 2010
The Rake's Challenge - July 2011
The Rake's Challenge - July 2011
The Wild Card Kindle edition - May 2012

Indeed and amazing lady and most enjoyable, I definitely thank you for sharing good advice and more, Beth! Very human and full of truth indeed, I am always looking forward to more from you!
ReplyDeleteGranny Kari
Thanks for this, Kari. Am glad you enjoyed Beth's interview.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kari. I love writing and all the people in my stories seem part of my family. But you also have plenty of travelling and writing wisdom to share.
ReplyDeleteBeth
Tried to comment about 3 times and it looks as if it is not going to work. Last try. Enjoyed the interview and your writing journey Beth, thanks so much Jane for hosting Beth who is a fab writer and lovely lady.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this feedback, Jane, and sorry it has taken so many attempts to be published.
ReplyDelete