PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Thursday, 18 July 2013

the creative part of promotion

Placing ads in prime sites, tweeting, pestering people for reviews, befriending people on Facebook - the list of possibilities for promoting your book is endless.  Some of these cost nothing, others are expensive.  One ad at a railway station may only cost £250, affordable perhaps, until you learn that the company have a minimum package of £3000.  A fiddle on my calculator informs me that to break even from an investment of that sum, I'd have to sell 3,529 books.  If I could guarantee such sales, I wouldn't be considering paying to advertise.






Reviews are often free but do they may a difference?  Amazon are prepared to promote a book once it has received 25 reviews -  that's a fair number and unless you are JK Rowling or Ian McEwan it might be difficult to acquire so many.  As for the Facebook stuff, the more time goes on, the more I'm convinced I am allergic to this form of social networking.  All this liking of someone's page or their status, just doesn't do it for me.  At some level, I fear that this is the way to become known and that I should simply get on with it but I can't...




However, I am involved in something enjoyable at the moment and this is the production of two promotional videos (see my blog- June 2, Consequences of a good deed).  After several meetings with the film makers to discuss and agree what was needed, I was tasked with finding a location and setting up a 'smart' dinner table.  An elderly relative provided everything - a bright dining room and the wherewithal to go on the table





I bought some red roses and attractive maple-coloured greenery for a table centre.  The film makers - a delightful Polish couple -  appeared.  They approved of the table, experimented with lighting etc.  I hovered, hoping that the odd crease or yellow mark on the linen tablecloth wouldn't be obvious, wondering if the table was too cluttered.  They were happy though and in due course began filming.  Several 'takes' were done as Karolina acted the part of a waitress placing name holders on the table and her partner, Kris - filmed.  An overview was then taken of the table and I had the job of holding a light reflector so that the afternoon sunshine would reflect on the roses - how lovely the flowers looked at that point.  And finally, I played a small part by acting the scene where a character opens a book to discover a letter addressed to her.  Fortunately only my hands - conscientiously moisturised beforehand - and the back of my head were seen.  Five attempts and Kris and Karolina were satisfied.


Yesterday one of the people who's reviewed my novel, did a 'live' testimony.  As she was being filmed while doing so, she couldn't read it, and although we didn't want it to sound stilted, neither did we want too many 'um's.  Four versions were recorded and we agreed which was best.  I couldn't have done what she did, unscripted.

And if I thought that my role would be invisible from now on, I was wrong.  Next week we meet in a beautiful outdoor location where I will be filmed introducing the book.  Today, at Karolina's request, I emailed her photos of five possible tops I could wear - my guidelines? nothing patterned, nothing too dark, nothing too light.


This is fun, I'm learning a lot about the world of film and I couldn't be working with nicer people.



     Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment