PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Monday, 22 July 2013

interview with Belinda Pollard


Australian writer, Belinda Pollard, is a published author of meditations and a Varuna Fellowship winner for fiction.  A former journalist, she has been a specialist book editor for 17 years, and the owner of Small Blue Dog Publishing for 10 years.  She is currently working on self-publishing several books of her own.

Belinda founded Small Blue Dog Publishing to help writers find their own path to either traditional or ‘indie’ publishing.  She lives in Brisbane.


What have you written so far?

As a journalist, I’ve written a lot of strange things, many best forgotten. As a spiritual writer, I’ve been writing meditations for a UK Christian publisher since the late 90s, including a stand-alone short book called Meet the Real Jesus. I’m currently reworking that one for self-publication in a different style, plus writing a (hopefully) humorous dog memoir, and a business writing book. I’ve also done some ghostwriting.

My fiction career commenced with an illustrated romance novel I wrote, aged 9, for a school project – no doubt to my teacher’s surprise and possibly alarm! Can’t remember much about it now, except that someone caught a plane. (Air travel was the height of elegance when I was 9.) My thriller Poison Bay is about a bunch of old friends who go out into the wilderness and don’t all come back. It has been “under construction” for years. I keep thinking I’ve finished it, and then someone else asks me to do another quick round of 500 revisions.


What does writing mean to you?

Over the years, a number of people have asked me that Life Goal question: “If money and people’s expectations didn’t matter, what would you do?” My answer always includes: “I’d live near the sea and write.” I love to communicate and connect with people about things that really matter, and my spiritual writing stems from that. I also adore fiction – both writing it and reading it. I can’t resist the allure of imaginary worlds. It’s odd that I can be so enamoured of writing, and yet avoid it so easily when I’m procrastinating and feeling intimidated. ;-)


What situations/environments inspire you?

I’m inspired by gorgeous wild places, and that’s why Poison Bay is set in a remote part of New Zealand (think: Middle Earth). Future novels in the series are set in other gorgeous wild places, like the Great Barrier Reef, Cape York, Central Australia, Antarctica and Alaska. Lots of research trips needed. Lots.

I also love the way people interact with each other, and how “good” people have bad in them, and “bad” people have good in them. People fascinate me. So there’s lots of people in my books, all trying to work out how to get along. And, of course, survive assassins and the environment!


Were you writing creatively when working as a journalist, and if so, how well did it work going from one to the other?

I mostly wrote hard news in the early days, and later did some feature writing. The journalism background helps when it’s time to research a book. I automatically start evaluating sources and looking for the best person to interview. The background DOESN’T help when it comes to deciding if I’m “allowed” to write. Because I’ve always been paid to write, spending hundreds of hours writing fiction that may never pay its own way seemed wasteful and indulgent. And that stopped me writing fiction for ages. But now I just say, “Oh, what the heck. It’s no worse than watching television.”


What has been your highest moment writing-wise?

I’d probably have to say it was the day I went to varuna.com.au to check the shortlist for their publisher fellowships (after entering lots of times and getting nowhere and feeling miserable) and actually saw my name there on the webpage. I had to read it about ten times, hyperventilating all the while, to really be sure it was me and my book in that list. And then I bounced around the room like Tigger. Strangely, being shortlisted was even more exciting than when I later won one of those fellowships. I think it was because that shortlisting was the very first time someone other than my mother said my fiction might be worth reading.


How did/do you teach yourself to write?

I studied journalism at university, which taught me useful things about research, writing and editing. Later I became a specialist book editor, and polishing other people’s books taught me how long works are put together, and important things about structure. I attend seminars and short courses whenever I get the chance. I’m always reading writing blogs, and weighing up what they’re saying, to see how I can adapt it to my own writing. I entered my novel in a variety of competitions, and the one I eventually won gave me a mentoring relationship with a manuscript consultant, which was priceless. That novel continues to be my apprenticeship in fiction, and I’m a much better fiction writer now than when I started, but also have plenty of room to continue to grow! I have savvy beta readers give me feedback on what I’ve written, which helps me step outside myself and see my writing from a different perspective. It’s a never-ending process.


What aspect of the craft do you think is most difficult to learn?

For me, it was silencing the inner critic. I’m still working on that one. Man, she’s noisy! Always telling me that sentence is no good, or I won’t be able to write this thing effectively. Working fast, and giving myself “permission to be average” seem to be the best ways to get her to go away for a while.


What advice would you give someone wanting to become a writer?

Everyone will tell you this or that or the other makes you a REAL writer. They usually don’t mean any harm by it, but it can make you miserable. If you truly want to write, just get started. Always be open to learning and improving and growing, but also respect and value yourself, your dreams, and the story that only you have to tell.


You set up Small Blue Dog Publishing to, quote, ‘ help writers find their own path to either traditional or ‘indie’ publishing.’  It seems that you could be the dream answer to a writer’s problems with your knowledge of writing, editing, publishing and marketing.

What made you set up the business?

Initially, I was providing a variety of services to specialist publishers, developmental editing to authors of non-fiction or memoir, and publishing consultancy to self-publishers writing as part of their business. Nowadays that has expanded to include encouraging fiction authors and smaller self-publishers through my blog and social media, and I’m developing some online courses to help authors of non-fiction, fiction and memoir make their books the best they can be.


In such economic times, it seems that many publishers are no longer able to provide either an editing or marketing service.  Do you think this is true?

I can’t speak for the whole industry. However, I am aware of cases where publishers not only expect their authors to take a key role in marketing a book, but also ask them to arrange (and pay for) their own pre-editing before the book is signed, and even buy a portion of the first print run. These are not “vanity” publishers, but the real thing. This shocked me when I first heard of it, but it seems to be becoming more common.


Do you believe that authors can become skilled at marketing their work?

Absolutely! The trick is finding the forms of marketing that suit you and your book and your target audience, and not just slavishly following what everyone else is doing. It’s like getting fit – if we force ourselves to go for a run even though swimming is the exercise we actually love, we’re setting ourselves up to fail. The marketing options we choose have to be sustainable, and part of that is making sure it’s something that matches our temperament and skills.


If you were asked for the top five most efficient ways of publicizing work for a writer without a marketing budget, what would these be?

Because each book, author and market is different, the most effective marketing plan is unique to the project. However, I’d make two broad suggestions.

a. Make intelligent use of social media and blogging, because it’s free or cheap, and has a global reach. “Intelligent” means going where your readers are hanging out, and talking about things that are interesting to them. It also means being selective, and not spreading yourself too thinly across too many social networks, or a blogging schedule that sucks the life out of you. Don’t “sell”, truly engage. (I recently blogged about the Two Golden Rules for Twitter: http://www.smallbluedog.com/twitter-two-golden-rules-for-writers.html ) Those new friends can become your champions, gossiping your book to their networks, and the ripples spread.

b. Don’t invest too much hope or energy in the traditional marketing methods, like book launches or seeking book reviews from major newspapers. They tend to have very little success when they’re not backed by the power of the big publisher. Sure, pursue them if you love them, because excitement is important to keeping the motivation going. But they can consume a lot of time and resources for very few sales. Reader reviews on Amazon or GoodReads are a lot more powerful for most self-publishers.


Where do you see the publishing market going?

It’s anyone’s guess. But I have a hunch the changes will be less radical than many pundits would have us believe. Just as video didn’t kill cinema forever, I wonder if print books and ebooks will learn to live together much better than everyone says. And the huge rush to self-publish will probably moderate, as people who aren’t really suited to it drop out, and the people who are good at it get even better. But then, I could be wrong! And either way, we’ll adapt and make the most of the new world when it settles.


How can readers connect with you?

I’m on Twitter as @Belinda_Pollard and I blog writing and self-publishing tips at www.smallbluedog.com
I also blog wildernesses, spiritual thoughts, and silly stories about my dog at www.belindapollard.com


Thank you, Belinda, and the best of luck with the publication of Poison Island, and your dog memoirs.


The book of meditations can be purchased from Amazon UK:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Closer-God-Newcomers-Jesus-Readings/dp/1859994598
or on Book Depository:http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Closer-God-for-Newcomers-Belinda-Pollard/9781859994597


For more information about Belinda's forthcoming novel, Poison Bay, go to:
http://www.belindapollard.com/poison-bay-the-next-big-thing.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, thanks so much for interviewing me for your blog. It was fun! Belinda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, Belinda. It was a great interview.

    ReplyDelete