PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Friday, 31 May 2013

learning curve or vertical climb?

Once upon a time, the challenge for a writer was to become published.  Today, the challenge is to self-promote. Laughingly, I think back to just over a year ago when my novel was doing the rounds of agents and publishers.  With many to choose from, I ignored those who asked me how I would go about the task of promoting my work a) because I hadn't a clue, and b) because I considered it to be their job.  Naive creature that I was.  


I remember the film Cheaper by the Dozen, the mother writing a book of that title - hard to imagine a mother of 12 children having time to do anything more than brush her teeth - going to New York to launch her book, anticipating a short visit, only to find that a book tour has been arranged.  When she questions this, her publisher says:  No book tour, no book.



 There are many mechanisms for self-promoting, such as free promotion sites, finding people who will host an interview with you on their blogs, or will review your book.  Recently I've been using LinkedIn as a way of improving my visibility - inviting writers/editors publishers to link in.  I'm quite clear that my aim is raise awareness of my novel. LinkedIn advise that we should only issue invitations to those we know well.  This obviously doesn't happen.  Many of us are inviting people we don't know.  Furthermore we are endorsing each other for skills that we can't possibly know about.  An example is my endorsement for public speaking.  I'm not a public speaker, except for the occasional conference or reading at a low key event. Such endorsements don't sit comfortably with me and I am adamant I won't endorse others unless I can truthfully do so.




Several nights ago, I decided I could more easily justify my invitations to all these unknown writers and editors if I checked their profiles and offered to interview some of them. Then there'd be an exchange of raising profiles.  Others are doing this, too: interviewing me, in the hope that this will bring more readers to their blog, thereby highlighting their book.  Quid pro quo.  Is this okay?  Well, whether or not it is, it seems to be the nature of the beast.

What I've also realised is that it's essential to take time off from marketing, not just to write, but to do other things.  With this in mind, I spent a day last week stripping paint from a skirting board.  It was so satisfying seeing a result: the paint melting, being scraped off.                         In my enthusiasm, I overdid it, ending up with tingling and muscle weakness on one side, from repetitive strain injury.  This sent me rushing to my GP, worried that something more sinister was going on, and then to the physio for massage.
                  


Is there a lesson in all this?  Indeed there is.  Everything in moderation, including how often you check your ranking on Amazon sales.



Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment