ANNE STENHOUSE is a playwright and has also written short stories and short non-fiction. Five years ago she decided to return to writing the romance novels she had attempted when she first gave up going out to work. This time she joined the New Writers’ Scheme (NWS) of the Romantic Novelists’ Association (RNA). Four critiques down the line and her historical romance, MARIAH’S MARRIAGE, met with the NWS Reader’s approval. Following some attention to a plot defect spotted by the Reader, Anne sent it out and it was picked up by the Canadian house, MuseItUp.
Mariah’s Marriage came out on 3rd May in e-book
format, and later will be available in paperback.
I asked Anne a few questions about her writing and the publishing process so far.
What
sort of things do you write?
Before I answer your questions, Jane,
I’d like to say how pleased I am to be here joining the interviewees already on
the site. Thank you for the invitation.
I’ve written plays for performance;
short stories and articles for sale; and any number of unpublished novels. I’m
also very keen on magazine fillers because I like both the short and pithy and
the nostalgic.
Tell
me a bit about what writing means to you
I find writing is a compulsion. Writing
allows you to re-organise the universe you’re living in. As an extension of
that, I think in conversations. Where other writers might get down the
description, the atmosphere, the colour of the characters’ hair, I need to hear
the voices. Once I do, things move along at a fair pace. The editor may have to
make up a hair colour, but she won’t have any problem identifying the speech
patterns. It’s good to be able to express yourself well in writing, to make
people laugh and to tell a story. It can be irritating to your friends when
everything in life is poked and prodded for a deeper, different meaning.
Do
you have a routine where your writing is concerned?
Not really. Deadlines are a great
motivation and often lead to surprising periods of disciplined work.
What
has been your highest moment writing-wise?
Doesn’t get much better than opening
the e-mail from Lea Schizas of MuseItUp. It was also good opening the letter
from FebFest saying my play, HORIZONS, had won a performance slot. Having so
recently moved into playwriting, and thrown away a distinguished collection of
Mills & Boon, no longer required for research, it was great to have confirmation
that my work was well thought of.
What,
if any, have been the challenges in your writing career?
I’ve had two difficult stages. One was
leaving behind correct, pared back prose when moving from the style needed to
answer an office-type letter to writing short stories and plays. The second was
in moving from dialogue into long prose. I’ve had to learn to love a sprinkling
of adjectives and adverbs. I’ve had to learn to use description and the ‘s/he
thought’ tag. You really need to read and de-construct the prose of other
writers. I bought a lot of second-hand books and a clutch of highlighters.
Going through the story with one colour for emotion, one for plot, one for
characterisation is useful.
The most difficult moment -
to date - was accepting the
advice from the RNA Reader the first time. I almost couldn’t read it, but of
course, they know what they’re talking about and when you calm down, you
realise that and get on with the business of re-writing. Oh dear! How arrogant that
sounds, but I think most of us believe our work is perfect until someone takes
time to point out that it isn’t.
Which writers have inspired you most?
I’m inspired by Louise Allen. I find her historicals are fresh and full of detail, lightly added. Before that Georgette Heyer – I love the period detail and the dialogue heavy prose. I also like contemporary writers who manage that. People like Maggie Graham (Sitting Among the Eskimos). In drama, I’m a fan of David Greig. I love his Outlying Islands. In the magazine fiction world, I greatly admire Kate Blackadder and the late Margaret McKinlay. Margaret also wrote novels.
What,
if any, are the drawbacks of asking someone to read your work?
None, if you’ve chosen the right
person. Asking family members or friends not in the business, is generally
hopeless. A good critique partner is worth so much.
What
advice would you give to new writers?
Keep writing and sending stuff out or
post on an internet writing website where criticism is shared. Look at what the
editor said on return. A scrawled sentence may succinctly sum up what caused
the piece to be refused. Learn and move on. There’s nothing more likely to hold
you back than fretting over an ‘unjust’ criticism. The Editor has a clear brief
and does not intend to discuss how your piece could be interpreted as fitting it. Write the thing to fit in the first
place. Writing is a business: if you cannot or will not, write to a brief,
clear out the bottom drawer and set about filling it with rejections. If you
want to simply write: just do.
Tell
me about Mariah’s Marriage
MARIAH’S MARRIAGE, under a different title, began life as
a first chapter entered in the New Voices competition run by Mills & Boon.
It attracted a lot of good comments and when it wasn’t picked up by them, I
wrote it anyway as my required book for the RNA NWS in 2011. It is based on
some of my hobby-horses like mass education; the catastrophic effects of
gossip, rumour and innuendo and the war between the sexes. Oh, and it is a
romance across the class divide. It’s full of humorous exchanges between the
hero and heroine, lots of lovely gowns and a seriously nasty villain. I love
writing the villain.
I have heard your
book is a contender for an award?
Thanks for asking about that, Jane. Because the book
went through the RNA's New Writers' Scheme, it is a contender, along with eight
others, for the Joan Hessayon Award. Very exciting. I get to attend the RNA
Summer Party and rub shoulders with famous names from the romance world. The
party's on 16th May. Fingers crossed….
What
made you follow the route of e-publishing?
E-publishing is a good option for an
un-agented writer. MARIAH was written to a shorter word length, 52,000 words, and
shorter is attractive to many e-readers.
The link for buying Mariah’s Marriage
from MuseItUp’s bookshop is:
To buy it from Amazon, click on:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ Mariahs-Marriage-ebook/dp/ B00CMAEKPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books& ie=UTF8&qid=1368346573&sr=1-1& keywords=anne+stenhouse
http://www.amazon.co.uk/
What
is your next project?
I’m writing another historical romance,
set in early nineteenth century Edinburgh which began life, under another
title, as an entry for the Mills and Boon New Voices (Note to self: no more of
that). I keep seeing the end, but it keeps moving away.
How
can readers connect with you?
Write, Watch and Critique Plays is at
Thank you, Anne, and the best of luck with publication and with the Joan Hessayon Award.


It is a comprehensive interview. Well done both of you. I had no idea you had such a varied career, Anne, though of course I shall not forget about your play being performed in Dumfries.
ReplyDeleteI have downloaded your book - just need time to get around to reading now. Good luck with the award.
Gwen, thank you. Jane's questions were most searching. I liked having the Barie play in dumfries. It was his birthday on Friday when Theatre Broad were back there with Deathtrap. Anne
DeleteThanks, Gwen. It's a great pleasure interviewing someone who gives a sense of the personality behind the writing. Jane
DeleteLoved your thoughtful answers, Anne. I agree that writing is a great way to "reorganise your universe" - you put that so well. Congratulations on your determination to perfect Mariah's Marriage. It's on my Kindle to be read, and am looking forward! :)
ReplyDeleteGood morning, Helena, I'm not usually at the pc at 6.30 am, but I'm still on Italian time. So much goes into the first book that you probably didn't need. Hope it doesn't turn out like recipes where no two makings are ever the same quality. Anne
DeleteHuge congratulations Anne, that's rather an inspiring journey you've had to publication and you are obviously talented in many areas too. I wish you all luck with the Joan Hessayon award!
ReplyDeleteJanice xx
Thanks, Janice. Having the book among the Joan Hessayon contenders is very exciting. Anne
DeleteCongratulations, Anne, for your book's nomination for the Joan Hessayon Award. I'm a fellow MIU author. My first book comes out in July. I identify with the ups-and downs-and ups of your writing journey.
ReplyDeleteHave you taken Margie Lawson classes? She suggests using markers to highlight the different parts of your ms, so you can see when there is too much introspection or not enough emotion. Happy for your release. Enjoy the excitement.
Hi Marsha, Thanks for your good wishes. I haven't taken any Margie Lawson classes, but I have been to lots of residences and conferences etc. It's great to hear how other writers go about things. Anne
DeleteVery interesting interview, Anne, and well done for persevering with your novel writing in between the drama.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rosemary. They were good questions. It is all about hanging in there, isn't it? Anne
DeleteNice interview - and congratulations on your publication, Anne. I look forward to seeing you in London on Thursday! Good luck with that!
ReplyDeleteHi Jenny, London is getting closer. I printed off the tickets this morning. Anne
DeleteThanks for this, Jenny. Jane
ReplyDeleteIt's always intriguing to find out how other writers work and this interview touched on many very interesting points. Good luck with the next stage.
ReplyDeleteHi Myra, I'm glad it sounded interesting. I really feel I'm clinging to the life-raft a lot of the time, Anne
DeleteA very nice interview, detailed and informative. Your book sounds great to me. I've love historical romance ever since I read my first Barbara Cartland novel. I devoured her books as fast as I could get my hands on them.
ReplyDeleteLater, I read a gazillion Harlequin romance books, so my novel is closer to those. (Will be published by Muse around August.)
Congratulations on your success.
Great to meet another Muse author, Leona. Good luck with the upcoming book. Anne
DeleteThanks Leona. Good luck with your publication, when the time comes. Jane
ReplyDeleteLovely interview. I enjoyed reading it. You have had quite a distiquished career in the writing field. I'm sure your future will hold many more novels and awards.
ReplyDeleteReally interesting interview. I'm looking forward to reading the book, Anne. I'm trying to make myself wait until it's out in paperback but may be tempted by the e-book before that!
ReplyDeleteHullo Lorrie, Thank you. It's so nice of you to drop by and leave such good wishes, Anne
ReplyDeleteHullo Gill, thanks. I don't know what the criteria are for selecting the e-books that the publisher takes to publication. I'll try to keep you up-to-date, Anne
ReplyDelete