PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Saturday, 1 June 2013

interview with Lynelle Clark





Lynelle Clark lives with her husband in Gauteng, South Africa.  She has always loved reading and discovering new worlds through doing so.  She also has a passion for travel and meeting new people.  She started to write in 2010 and so far has found the journey exciting, loving the whole process, from beginning to end.


        What sort of things do you write?

My first book, A Pirate's Wife,  is a historical romance and was self-published in September 2012. I am busy with the follow up to this book. I also write inspirational and contemporary romances. Life Changes will be released soon.  


        What does writing mean to you?

Writing brings out the creative part in me. It allows me the freedom to be myself and say what is in my heart without judgmental attitudes trying to stop me. Always curious by nature I love to explore the world around me, combining it with the lessons I have learned and wrap it in romance. I am a sucker for happy endings.


        Which published/unpublished writers have inspired you most and why?

I have many authors I look up to but to answer the question I would say Ruth Ann Nordin and Johanna Penn have inspired me the most to move forward and publish my books. I have learned a lot from them as independent authors and asked many questions before I started. Their advice was/is always sound.


        How did/do you teach yourself to write?

It did come naturally to me, triggered by an experience we had starting from 2008. Since then I have done an English writing course and just signed up for a workshop with Master Koda. This will involve learning more about character building and creating the plot.


        What aspect of the craft do you think is most difficult to learn?

For me personally it’s about creating the characters, making them believable for the reader. It’s also about creating scenes that can enhance the plot and building it into the story without disturbing the flow of the plot.


 What has been the most encouraging comment someone has made about your writing?

One reviewer said that I developed the story masterfully in my book, A Pirate’s Wife, and she was glued to the book. That encouraged me greatly.


What has been your lowest moment writing-wise?

I was in a rush to publish my first book back in 2011.  I did not have the assistance of an editor, nor could I afford one and believed some well meaning people when they told me my book was ready for publishing.  Then when I received my first review, I was dumbstruck, and thought about quitting. My husband picked me up from the floor, and encouraged me to go on.  This is when I met an editor who was willing to help me and as they say: the rest is history.


What advice would you give someone wanting to become a writer?

No matter if the odds are against you keep on writing.  Do not look at your circumstances but use it as motivation and move forward. And write. Surround yoursel with like-minded people and listen to them.


What changes in how you write have you been aware of over the years?

I have become more confident in the way I write. I’ve learned how to express myself better and build the story line more sufficiently.      


        Have you ever suffered from writers’ block and if so, how did you get over it?

So far I am lucky and have not experienced it yet.


        Have you needed to make any sacrifices to allow you to write, and if so, what?

I think the biggest sacrifices have been spending less time with my husband. I am so focused sometimes that I forget about him and the everyday things around me. If he didn’t put food in front of me I would sometimes forget to eat as well. 



A Pirate's Wife can be purchased from:




        Readers can connect with Lynelle via Facebook: 
        http://www.facebook.com/Aspiredwriter2012?ref=hl




Thank you, Lynelle, and the best of luck with your future writing projects.


2 comments: