Seasoned procrastinator that I am, I became suspicious when an idea for yet another blog surfaced last weekend. The fact that I search for any excuse to include photos in my existing blogs and website must convey something. The answer? Create a blog of photos. Or a website of same. And so this set me off on a protracted route - and a virtual journey - trawling through over 9000 photos spanning six years. I suppose it can be likened to a new love affair: in the first throes, everything else becomes less important, tedious tasks rushed through so that I can return to 'the photos'. What has happened to the longish short story I am currently editing? A bit of work on that, so that I feel some progress has been made. What has happened to my existing blogs? Well, no new posts for a week - until this one, of course. As for non-urgent domestic chores: no, I won't go there....
I am now whittling down a large initial selection of photos, and doubtless will reduce it again. An ongoing short listing. Part of me thinks this is a lot of time to spend when I could/should be writing. Another part is more kindly and understanding, certainly less judgemental. There is a deeper reason/benefit for such a lengthy sifting through and selection of my photos: I am back again in those beautiful places I have endeavoured to capture on camera. I'm reminding myself I've been there. This is important. And so I will let myself continue with this protracted process where I can spend ten minutes deciding which to select of two very similar photos: not just deciding on which is more atmospheric, which is sharper but the minutest detail of composition - does that rock jutting out of the loch lend more to the photo than the inclusion of a hill with a scattering of snow?
Even if no-one else looks at my photos, I'll feel some satisfaction when the task is done. I hope so, anyway.
Jane


No comments:
Post a Comment