PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Thursday, 14 October 2010

onwards and upwards


Two good things have happened writing-wise. I've found a mentor, more difficult than I thought it would be. There are numerous editing services advertised online for exorbitant fees. And there are organisations offering mentoring schemes for published writers. But what about those of us who aren't 'properly' published and can't afford/aren't prepared to give away thousands for one person's opinion?

My mentor-to-be was recommended by a friend and our first meeting is planned for early next month. Her fees are very reasonable and the introductory information she's requested from me, well-thought out, allowing me an opportunity to reflect on where I've reached as a writer. I'm looking forward to our sessions.

The second positive thing is the discovery of a particularly helpful 'how to' book, 'How to write a mi££ion'. According to Carole Blake in 'From Pitch to Publication,' the author Michael Redpath, used two books, 'Characters and Viewpoint' and 'Plot' to help him with his first novel. When their publisher, Robinson Books heard this, they decided to reprint the two titles in one volume, entitled 'How to write a mi££ion.'

I've always wondered how writers learn the craft of writing. For a small percentage perhaps it just comes naturally. For others many years of hard slog are needed. But the actual learning of techniques - how does that come about? We all read books we like, ones we don't. We might or might not know what we admire about the ones that do it for us. But how do we learn to incorporate some of these strategies into our own work?

For me, the 'how to' books are fundamental, even if I don't always agree with everything written in them. Only once techniques are named, a rationale given for why they improve story telling, can I identify them in what I read, and try to deploy them in my own work. 'How to write a mi££ion' is a title I wish I'd discovered years ago, especially as it goes into structural aspects - something I'm grappling with - in considerable depth. The language is accessible, no attempt to academicalise ( invented word), examples from well-known books used. It's as comprehensive as I could wish for, and is available from Amazon:

'How to write a mi££ion - the complete guide to becoming a successful author', Dibell, Scott Card and Turco, published by Robinson, London.

By the time I've finished reading and taking notes from this book, I will have the wherewithal to become a stronger writer. This, coupled with finding someone who will give me constructive feedback, is what I need to give me a head start after a difficult academic year. Already I feel my energy levels rising.



Inspirationally yours


Jane

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't get hung up on those how-to books. It's about choosing the right ones, methinks. Everything in moderation.

    I always wonder why you never see any of the authors of these books' bestselling novels on the shelves. Unless they have AT LEAST a Pushcart Prize they can take a run and jump as far as I'm concerned.

    Happy mentoring.

    ReplyDelete