PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Friday, 13 February 2015

interview with Julie Ryan


Julie Ryan was brought up near Barnsley in South Yorkshire and graduated with a BA (Hons) in French Language and Literature from Hull University. Since then she has taught English as a foreign language in France, Greece, Poland and Thailand.

Julie is the author of two novels set in Greece, Jenna’s Journey and Sophia’s Secret, both part of the Greek Island Mystery series.

She now lives in rural Gloucestershire with her husband and son.



What sort of things do you write?

I write the kind of things that I enjoy reading, mainly mystery/ thriller/ romantic suspense. In the past I’ve dabbled with short stories which have been slightly different, ghost stories or pure romance.


Do you have a routine where your writing is concerned?

Not really. As the mother of a seven year old, I have to grab my moments when I can. Mornings work well for me as I’m too tired by the end of the day to think clearly. I need peace and quiet and no interruptions to work. Coffee and chocolate help too!


You’ve lived in other countries as well as your native Yorkshire.  How, if at all, have these experiences influenced what you write?

I have been hugely influenced by living in other countries and by experiencing different cultures. In fact, I think my writing is a way of remembering those times. It’s a good excuse to get out the old photos and immerse myself in another time.


I noticed that the reviews for your second novel, Sophia’s Secret, are better than those for your first one, Jenna’s Journey.  Are you aware of changes in your style between writing the first and second novel?

My first novel was such a learning curve as I’d only ever attempted short stories before. I learnt so much in terms of the craft of writing, how to structure the story, timelines, inconsistencies. It was a hard book to write for those reasons as I find it impossible to plan out each chapter. With the second book I was more organised regarding the characters and not getting myself in such a muddle. I think I must have written ‘Jenna’s Journey’ at least six times with all the changes I had to make. The second book was much easier. I don’t think I’ve changed the style but I have learnt how to tighten up the structure.


You have three hats: writer, reader and reviewer.  When you are reading something you’ve been asked to review, which of the reader or writer in you is more predominant, do you think?
    
I think that since I wrote my first book, I’ve become a different kind of reader as it’s virtually impossible to ‘unsee’a book from the writer’s viewpoint once you’re an author. I try not to over-analyse when I’m reading though as reading is my pleasure. As a reviewer I try to focus on how much I enjoyed the book.  


How much of an impact does reviewing other people’s work have on your own writing?

Sometimes it can spark an idea that can develop into a different story of my own or contribute to a twist in a plot. Quite often though it’s a case of ‘I wish I could write like that’ if it’s a really good book. I think everything I read or review has an impact somehow.


What advice would you give indie authors on how to promote their work?

That has been the hardest thing for me to do as I’m not very good at self-promotion. I keep telling myself that it’s the only way to sell but it’s always a case of forcing myself to do it. Before you even begin to publish your book, I would advise getting a strong social media profile out there. If you can build up your online presence on Twitter and Facebook and interact with other writers, as there’s a lovely community of Indies out there, then you will be in a stronger position when you do decide to publish. Don’t just approach authors and ask them to promote your book as that’s very bad style. If you can set up a blog, you can offer to promote other writers and hopefully they’ll return the favour.


What are your future writing plans?

I’m currently working on a third book in the Greek Island Mystery series called ‘Pandora’s Prophecy’ which I’m aiming to publish in the summer of 2015. After that I think it’s time for something different. I have lots of ideas but nothing concrete as yet.


As you consider Greece to be your spiritual home, do you anticipate living there again?

Who knows? I try not to plan too far ahead. I’m happily settled in Gloucestershire at the moment but whenever it rains I look longingly at a Greek beach and think it would be wonderful to spend part of each year there. I also love France and would love to improve my knowledge of Spain too so I keep an open mind.


How can readers connect with you?

I have a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Julieryanauthor or via Twitter at @julieryan18. I love to hear what readers think so please do get in touch.    





2 comments:

  1. Oh, I so agree, Julie. It is often difficult to 'unsee' a book from the writer's viewpoint. I more often think I wish I could write like that though. I adore the cover for Sophia's Secret. Best of luck, sweetie. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sheryl for all your support xxx

    ReplyDelete