PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 10 August 2014

the turtle diaries: what nearly didn't happen

The irony is that we so very nearly didn't end up here, here being Vancouver, BC.  I'd been checking the Trusted Housesitters website every day for something appealing and at the right time.  One evening I spotted an ad for housesitting and caring for reptiles.  My immediate thought was: snakes.  Definitely not on.  Curiosity drove me to checking it.  And I'm so glad I did.  The reptiles mentioned were two red eared slider turtles which required care for two months.  I applied, we were successful.

Jade and Ruby, red eared slider turtles, require little care: feeding and pond cleaning.






Our house is spacious and comfortable and situated two blocks from the northern arm of the Fraser River, a working river which, amongst other activities, transports logs.









Downtown Vancouver is delightful, located by the sea and surrounded by islands and mountains.
The hazy evening lights is glorious.  I have the luxury of being here for two months (other family members have to return due to work and uni), and already I know that leaving here will be difficult.






Horseshoe Bay is situated right on the western tip of West Vancouver, at the entrance to Howe Sound.  From here you can take the ferry to Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, and Bowen Island. 




Jane






No comments:

Post a Comment