PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Friday, 28 June 2013

when you don't like your protagonist


From time to time, we all experience niggles that something isn't right, and eventually such niggles become clearer.  At an advanced stage of editing my novel, my niggle has taken form:  I'm not sure I like my main character.  And if I don't, chances are my reader won't.  This could be quite traumatising.  But comparing it to real life situations, fortunately it is relatively easy to resolve.





Unlike an insecure boss, a selfish partner or the neighbour from hell - none of which I currently have, I hasten to add - the remedy is in my own hands.  And the problem could be infinitely greater: a  weak plot, a major structural flaw.  All that's required is some tweeking here and there.  A change of attitude, a different way of responding to challenges.  More positive thinking, perhaps.  That said, it will take a bit of time.  There are still decisions to be made.  Should I give my heroine a new name to help me rethink her personality, add on several years to confer more gravitas, or is this being inversely ageist. This is the delightful thing about writing - the writer can take control.  And better that I sort out my protagonist now, before someone else tells me she needs changing.

Jane








No comments:

Post a Comment