June McCullough grew up in the three most western provinces of Canada. In 1989 she moved back to central Alberta with her two children and has lived there ever since. She has been writing for as long as she can remember.
What sort of things do
you write?
My stories are about
life, but because life experiences are ever changing, so are my novels.
On The Other Hand is an inspirational story. It tells of the emotional journey
that one woman takes after her husband dies from a stroke.
Home to Stay is a contemporary romance and it takes place on a ranch just
outside Calgary, Canada.
The project that I am
currently working on is entirely different. I don’t know anyone who has
experienced what these characters experience, so it’s taking more research and more
of my imagination.
What does writing mean
to you?
Writing takes me into a
whole different world—a world that I create. It can be therapeutic; it can be a
vacation without leaving home. Writing allows you to make the uninteresting
interesting. You can even rewrite history.
What situations inspire
you to write?
Every situation has a
story and as long as I can find it, I’m inspired to write it.
How did/do you teach yourself to write?
Mostly by studying
other authors’ style, both what I liked and what I didn’t. I’ve also studied
books written on the subject and had discussions with other authors.
What aspect of the
craft do you think is most difficult to learn?
For me it is the POV
(point of view). I really have to watch that I don’t jump from one character’s
POV to another’s. I know I do it and I’ve had editors point it out to me, but I
still have a tendency to do it.
What (if any) are the
drawbacks of asking someone to read your work?
It always good to get
feedback of others, but I tend to put too much emphasis on it whether it’s good
or bad.
What has been the biggest challenge for you as a writer?
The biggest challenge
for me isn’t in the writing itself, but in the marketing. I am not a marketer.
I’m not good at it and I don’t enjoy it, but it is something that has to be
done, so I force myself to do it.
How do you market/promote your work?
I’ve had many book
signings, a radio interview, television interview, and I’ve been a guest on
many blogs. I also talk about it to anyone who will listen and I hand out
bookmarks.
What are your future
writing plans?
I’m currently working
on a project that is like nothing else I have ever done. It has murder,
embezzlement, and sexual abuse. And it’s about payback. This is outside my personal
experiences, so this is taking longer to write. I’m having to do more research
and imagination than ever before.
How can readers connect
with you?
Readers can connect
with me via Twitter: http://twitter.com/McCullough_June
and
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/june.mccullough.165
And they can purchase
the book at:
Amazon
Thank you, June, and
good luck with your current project.


No comments:
Post a Comment