PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Monday, 28 January 2013

the relentlessness of commercialism

A trawl through last year's posts reminds me that in September I complained about having seen a Christmas tree in a well-known department store in town.  I didn't want to be thinking about Christmas when autumn had hardly begun.  And here I am again - on the same topic, if at a different time of year.

The incident took place last week.  I was in British Home Stores gazing at some cosy looking scarves for - yes, WINTER (the season which occurs annually between December and March), enjoying the fact that there'd been a flurry of snow outside ( I love snow), when a bright female voice announced over the tannoy 'As spring is round the corner....'.   Not again, I thought.  It's mid January - well, third week in January, if I'm to be precise - and someone is suggesting I think about clothes for April.



I don't want to be doing that in January.  In January  I want to be swathed in chunky cardigans and slippers, or thick jackets, scarves, gloves and 'sensible' shoes if I'm outside.






I suppose that businesses do have to plan ahead.  Heaven forfend we should be hit by a heatwave in March in Edinburgh and have nothing cool enough to wear.  It would take a big stretch of the imagination, however, to be looking at sundresses when I've come in to buy a comfy fleecy top, even if I'd booked a holiday on a tropical island.










As for the staff, what must it be like for them always to be a season ahead during the day, only to revert back several months when they return home?

No comments:

Post a Comment