PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Monday, 9 July 2012

interview with Hélène Perrin-Gouron



Today’s guest is Hélène Perrin-Gouron. Originally from Nice, Hélène went to university in the United States, then lived in Paris. She is currently based in Grenoble, France.


JANE: What sort of things do you write?

HÉLÈNE: I write scripts. I write long features for the screen and, from time to time, I write TV series.



JANE: What does writing mean to you?

HÉLÈNE: Ha! I can provide you with various answers here. I could say that writing is the way I express myself best, and consequently enjoy doing it, always. I could also say that writing is an art and, as I’m writing professionally, I feel I am a creative artist - aiming at providing entertainment supported by an uplifting and enlightening feel. But then I could also bring up the existing pen pusher aspect. When I do commissioned work, I have to write with or for a producer or a director - of course, ‘with’ feels much more pleasant!



JANE: What situations/environments inspire you?

HÉLÈNE: Have you heard the saying: ‘The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.’ ? I find this to be so accurate that it could or should be taught in the Scriptwriting 101 course (basic module in the scriptwriting courses in the US.) It is for everyone to find the right combination between intuition and intellect.



JANE: What has been the most encouraging comment someone has made about your writing?

HÉLÈNE: I can think of two comments, or statements: ‘Congratulations on scoring in the top 25% in this year's Page Awards competition and here's wishing you the best of luck in Round Two!!’ and ‘We want to sign you.’



JANE: Which scriptwriters have inspired you most and why?

HÉLÈNE: Bruce Joel Rubin, Melissa Mathison, Danny Rubin, Harold Ramis, Ed Solomon, Lee Hall, Charles Chaplin, and also Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, although more as producers possibly.


JANE: What are the drawbacks of asking someone to read your work?

HÉLÈNE: One person, one opinion.



JANE: How did/do you teach yourself to write?

HÉLÈNE: I started by studying scriptwriting at university. Since then, I have kept reading technical books written by Hollywood’s screenwriting authorities. These scriptwriters also give courses, workshops, etc. Lastly, watching a movie –sometimes over and over - always teaches me more, and in an enjoyable way.



JANE: What changes in how you write have you been aware of over the years?

HÉLÈNE : I would say it is mostly the routine that I have seen changing. I have often changed it deliberately, looking for the process that will suit and benefit me and my scripts most.



JANE: Have you ever suffered from writers’ block and if so, how did you get over it?

HÉLÈNE : Thanks to experience, I now know that whenever I go through a block, it is caused either by having the wrong balance of inspiration and intellect, or from the misuse of some writing technique.


HÉLÈNE: I’d like to finish with an anecdote, also related to balance, but to the balance between to work and social interaction. Once upon a time… a film director was taking all the credit for a script, at a press conference, so much so that the media were even talking about ‘the Smithee Touch’! The next morning, Fed Ex delivered an envelope to the director. It was from his scriptwriter, and contained 120 blank pages, with a note saying: ‘Try to put ‘the Smithee Touch’ on this!’
Made up name; true story.


JANE: Thank you, Hélène, and good luck with your future scriptwriting projects.

HELENE: Thank YOU, Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment