PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Thursday, 27 October 2011

trivia

When I read the blogs of serious writers - ones who write about books or Scottish history - I realise how frothy mine is, with the occasional serious post. Still, if I do froth well, why try to change? Or am I just lazy?

For those of you who read my last blog about participating in an eBay auction for a skirt, I am delighted to report that my bid was successful although the last few hours were more difficult than I'd anticipated. It took me a while to notice that I was bidding in the Pacific time zone, so while my competitors were doubtless interrupting a yummy evening meal to check the bidding status, it was four am, British summer time. Such are the hardships we bidders subject ourselves to. Needless to say, my attempts to get some quality sleep in the hours leading up to the closing time were unsuccessful. I was so fired up with desire to win this wretched skirt that I kept waking up, and ended up doing some writing until the closing time.







Becoming slightly more experienced in the art of bidding online, I had anticipated a sudden mad increase in bids necessitating increasing my own maximum bid. Fortunately my final price was very reasonable. So feeling ill with exhaustion the next day was probably a small price to pay. There was the shock of being charged the same amount for postage from the US as I paid for the skirt. I contacted the seller who apologised and said she'd reimburse me 22 dollars. The fact that I'm not sure how to recuperate that money through Paypal, and the more significant one that the skirt still hasn't arrived - posted 16 days ago, almost seem incidental. I must be mad. I am really, the jury is no longer out.

I have kept the picture of the skirt, in case it doesn't arrive and this is all I have ...






Perhaps my next post will be about something more weighty, such as the minefield of asking and receiving feedback on one's writing, a topic much in my thoughts at the moment, as the latest draft of my novel is out for consultation - proof that I do more than surf eBay or complain about advertising. See recent posts.















Well, if you're not yawning now, I certainly am.

Sleepily yours

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment