PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 19 June 2011

music therapy


Music therapy is - quote: an interpersonal process in which a trained music therapist uses music and all of its facets—physical, emotional, mental, social, aesthetic, and spiritual—to help clients to improve or maintain their health.

Music therapists primarily help clients improve their observable level of functioning and self-reported quality of life in various areas. Some commonly found music therapy practices include developmental work (communication, motor skills, etc.) with individuals with special needs, songwriting and listening in reminiscence/orientation work with the elderly, processing and relaxation work, and rhythmic work for physical rehabilitation in stroke victims.















This is far from being a new therapy. The Turco-Persian psychologist and music theorist al-Farabi (872–950), known as "Alpharabius" in Europe, dealt with music therapy in his treatise Meanings of the Intellect, where he discussed the therapeutic effects of music on the soul. The 17th century author, Robert Burton wrote in his "The Anatomy of Melancholy" , that music and dance were critical in treating mental illness, especially melancholia.














I came across Music Therapy when I worked as a dietitian for the Edinburgh Cancer Help Organisation -unfortunately no longer in existence. We offered this therapy to people who approached the centre for counselling or other therapies to help them cope with a difficult diagnosis.







But what about drumming in particular? Experts believe that rhythmic drumming can aid health by inducing a deep sense of relaxation, reducing stress, and lowering blood pressure. According to Simon Lee, a musician from Kent, it can energise or relax. It can foster a sense of playfulness or release anger and tension. Some people believe that drumming can improve our immunity, decrease stress levels and benefit our general psychological well being."














Dr Barry Bittman, a neurologist, and CEO of the Yamaha and Wellness Institute in Pensylvania, believes one of the great potential benefits of employing drums in therapy is that they are so easy to use and everybody -regardless of handicap - has a sense of rhythm. Even in the womb the foetus has rhythm," he said.











This evidence about the benefits of drumming cheered me. A friend had already told me it was a grounding thing to do. Nevertheless, when we bought an electronic drum kit recently to complement our auction-purchased keyboards and amplifiers and guitars, I felt guilty about spending so much money on a 'luxury'. And when, we hired a rehearsal studio for the day to be able to let rip without distressing our neighbours, although it was brilliant, this little voice told me we were being extravagant - how hard it is to break with the puritanical view of not having too much fun.


That's all changed, though. Now, I am allowing myself to perceive the drumming as a multi-faceted therapy. For a start, it's a good upper body work out. Pounding away does use your arm muscles. It's a good way to deal with anger, arguably better than telling someone exactly what you think of their behaviour. It might alleviate the low mood caused by those horrible untextured white skies which are blighting our Scottish summer. And of course, general relaxation. And creativity.


Lest I should get carried away with all those potential health benefits I looked up Drummershealth.com. and discovered that excessive drumming can cause, amongst others, the following injuries: tendonitis, neuritis, carpel tunnel syndrome, sprains, strains (muscle pulls), lower back pain, neck pain, blisters and hand pain.











Until drumming becomes one of my addictions (see post of 14th June: addictive personalities), nevertheless, I will dispense with lingering guilt and simply enjoy...


Therapeutically yours


Jane



References:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7872043.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_therapy
http://www.sportsrehab.com/drumminginjuries.htm

1 comment:

  1. I think that is wonderful! I have played guitar since I was a boy and even though as I get older I don't practice quite like I once did, it has always served my mental health well to be able to pick up one of my guitars and figure things out. Plus, its just fun!

    ReplyDelete