PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 12 September 2010

bletiquette


Is there a blog etiquette? Certain rules such as when you're playing tennis, you don't return a serve that's obviously out, or not maligning ex-partners to new ones. Is it socially acceptable to mention one of your blogs in another blog? And is there such a thing as a blog nomad? Am I simply a fickle creature, moving from writing one blog to another, like changing shampoo or abandoning diet cokes for the sugar-laden version?



I was so enthusiastic about Papillon when I started writing it in March. Admittedly ambivalent about the concept of blogging, regarding it as the written equivalent of stepping outside naked, but nevertheless curious to see whether such an activity would hook me, what I'd gain from it. If I'd ever reach a point where I couldn't imagine my writing life not including a blog.

And then another idea for a blog surfaced and I tried it and immediately my blogging energy went into this one and Papillon faded. Due to my limited computer skills, I haven't managed to separate out the two blogs in terms of profiles and signing off comments, so perhaps it's no great surprise that the other blog - the other 'man' - I'm alluding to is Letters from Bakhtin - Edinburgh's coolest cat. There, I've admitted it, outed myself. So, now my pen name 'Lillias' refers to a woman writing as a woman and a woman writing as a cat, perhaps even taking on the cat's identity while posting, possibly temporarily adopting the personality of other animals featured in this blog.





Bakhtin, from Letters from Bakhtin






And now I feel a sense of relief at having posted again in Papillon, like seeing a friend and realising I still have time for him/her.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Bemusedly yours,

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment