PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Wednesday, 11 August 2010

letting go


The problem with a piece of writing is you never know when it's finished. That's why deadlines are a necessary evil. Yes, they provoke anxiety but they're also a source of relief. My big one is the end of this week when 20,000 words of edited and polished and reordered prose is to be submitted. After that I won't exactly be demob happy but well on the way to it. So, although I experience fluttery feelings and am visiting the loo more than I should, roll on Friday. It's been a long haul.

I looked up quotes on finishing. This was the best one I could find:

My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.”




Some goals are easier to achieve than others.







I heard of a writer who believed a piece of work was finished when he went through it removing all commas, then shortly after went it again reinstating all commas.






Makes sense.



Relievedly yours


Jane

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing you express your ideas clearly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen. Sometimes this is easier to achieve than others!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete