
Well, it's done. First 20,000 words of a novel submitted on August 13 (great date, eh?), and 3000 words of a reflective essay and personal development plan (PDP) handed in on August 20. On both Thursday evenings I sat up until the wee small hours finishing off, despite having thought I didn't have much left to do. As I've blogged before, I have a dysfunctional relationship with time. So there we are. The big question is: what now? It's been a difficult year academically and yet part of me is sad it's over. My PDP contains a list of short, medium and long-terms goals, mainly about finishing writing novels which are at different stages.
Other goals... as usual, too numerous to mention except for the big one. Going public helps me achieve things. In a previous post I talked about making a public declaration in front of my family to give up chocolate. It worked. I was clean for a year. On Friday I drafted a statement announcing my intention to lose a tankful of weight by next summer, got my son to witness my signature, and stuck the document on the fridge. Inspired - amused, perhaps - he asked me to draft out something for him: his intention to be more polite and respectful towards his parents. That is selotaped to a kitchen cupboard. A huge challenge for both of us - who is more likely to succeed? I wonder.So here I am, about to delve into a Chinese carryout - not the most sensible start, I know, but I've had a demanding day physically in the form of the following:
1. playing tennis with my son
2. cycling to hospital to visit my aunt
3. wheeling her to Stockbridge for tea and cake and a reconnection with the outside world ( I'd like to be able to say that I
opted for water or a low calorie drink and forewent the cake, but can't)
4. wheeling her back to hospital
5. cycling home again
after which I collapsed into a bath
Determinedly yours
Jane
No comments:
Post a Comment