Finally, the longest work-in-progress has been completed. And I know that passive voice sentences convey less energy. So I'll rewrite: I have finished my longest work-in-progress: Chergui's Child. Started circa 2000, undergone various rewrites, some more major than others, had a final rigorous edit taking longer than I'd care to admit, a massive proofread which, predictably, included more than the odd typo or punctuation error and therefore wasn't whizzed through in a day. There was a time when I would have enjoyed the proofreading stage. Not so, with this one. It would have been fine if I'd been able to restrict myself to what proofreading is actually meant to be. Instead I found myself rewriting sentences, detecting small continuity problems, clarifying plot issues which might otherwise confuse the reader. And - to my horror - having the occasional panic about as aspect of plot which I now felt didn't work. So, great relief, even if, or perhaps because, it's taken so long.
Here's the blurb: Olivia is recovering from a traumatic event five years earlier when she is summoned to the bedside of her dying aunt, Dorothy. Shortly afterwards, Olivia learns that her aunt has left her a large sum of money. She also receives a letter with a startling revelation. The story takes place in London, the south of France, Gibraltar and Morocco.
Chergui's Child is available on Kindle from Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/ebooks/dp/B00YTE9XWE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433403048&sr=1-1&keywords=Chergui%27s+Child%2C+Jane+riddell
So, what now? Two projects: finishing my 'back burner' novel, Cristiana, and working on an illustrated novella about a Russian cat writer.
Jane




No comments:
Post a Comment