PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Tuesday, 16 September 2014

the turtle diaries: a nice little story

My last letter (downtime on holiday) mentioned that I lost our house key on the beach on Bowen Island.  We returned there several days later, this time to swim rather than kayak.  My intention was to look in two places for said key: near the log of wood where I'd laid my trousers when changing into beachwear, and in a semi-private spot of trees when changing back into trousers.  If the key had fallen out near the log of wood, we suspected it would have been washed away by the tide.  We weren't hopeful.



When we arrived at the beach, we saw a father and young son with a metal detector near our spot of sand.  I told them, half jokingly, to watch out for a brass key.  Minutes later the detector 'pinged', they scrabbled in the sand and produced our key.  Great for us, and I hope, satisfying for them.
The fact that my son lost his goggles while jumping off a float, and I left an old hoodie draped over the bus seat on the way back to the harbour, didn't feature much when we reflected on our day on the journey back to Vancouver.

  Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment