PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 6 July 2014

moth curry

What would you do if you were sauteing mince and a tiny passing moth drifted past the pot and then disappeared, possibly into it?  Chuck the mince out?  Keep cooking, in the hope that the moth, still very much alive, would drift past again? (I made myself dizzy flicking my head from side to side, hoping to see it).
Sift through the pot for any signs of something which didn't look like a piece of mince?  Hmm....


Well, the curried mince is now in the oven, with or without a very dead moth.  I remind myself that in poor areas of Africa, eating insects isn't uncommon.



Furthermore, according to The Food and Agricultural Organisation report *, we should prepare to start eating insects.  Seemingly they are highly nutritious, some can be tasty, served in the right sauce.  However, the FAOs justification for including insects, to help address projected shortage in crops due to increasing population, apparently isn't correct.



Returning to my dilemma, I have still to add mushrooms, raisins and rice, but I suspect that when the curry is ready, I will liquidise it, to reduce the chance of coming across a crunchy bit which can't be accounted for by the other ingredients.  Yuck...   Another decision to be taken is whether or not to inform other partakers of the situation.  In the meantime, there's a rather mouth watering smell drifting through from the kitchen.


Jane

P.S.  When my son asked what was for dinner, I felt duty bound to explain about the possible presence of a (tiny) moth in the curry.  He was not impressed.  His response:  "You eat the moth, and I'll cook for myself".   Later, while swimming, I realised that I wasn't looking forward to dinner as I usually do.  Back home, I put the curry in the fridge (with a lid on the dish), and made vegetables with a cheese sauce.  When the man-of-the-house ( MOTH) returns from a conference on Tuesday evening, he will have the option to partake of the curry or chuck it out.  I imagine he'll eat it to prove his invincibility.


* http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/05/14/the-united-nations-says-we-should-all-be-eating-insects/

No comments:

Post a Comment