Prolific is the word which springs to mind
when thinking of Scottish writer, Rosemary Gemmell - author of two novellas, four novels,
a collection of short stories, an impressive number of articles and short stories, some poetry, and winner of an enviable list of awards.
Her working life before becoming a full
time writer included being a student nurse, a business travel consultant, a
business/education liaison administrator and a direct banking advisor.
Rosemary
lives on the West Coast of Scotland, not far from Loch Lomond or Glasgow.
You’ve
stated that you love being a writer – it’s who you are. What does writing mean to you?
Being able to express myself in different
forms, exploring the world and people of my imagination, and especially
communicating through the written word.
You
write for a mix of audiences. Do you
have a favourite genre?
I tried to decide about this and have come to the conclusion that
none in particular is a favourite – except that I go through phases of
preferring historical, or contemporary, or Young Adult in reading and writing!
The shorter pieces are a necessary respite from longer fiction.
How
did you learn how to write?
I always loved English at school and read and wrote poetry in my teens.
I was also a prolific reader and devoured escapist novels. Then, when I studied
for a BA and MA in literature and history as a mature student, I loved writing
essays and finding the right way in which to express my thoughts and opinions.
It wasn’t until the children were in their teens that I really started to write
short stories.
A short online course taught me how to structure a story but it was
mainly through reading that I absorbed how to do it. Joining the local writing
group was the next big step in learning the craft from visiting speakers and
adjudicators.
You’ve
had a varied working life. Do you find
yourself drawing on this job experience for plots and characterization?
Not so much as I got married and had children quite early in my career
life. But marrying a travel professional has allowed me to travel a lot and
that definitely inspires some of my writing and ideas.
What changes in how you write have you been aware of over the years?
A good question! The biggest changes came about through writing
novels and working with professional editors. I can’t emphasise enough how
much we continue to learn and improve as writers and part of that comes from
taking criticism and advice from editors and publishers. It partly helped
having American editors and also writing non-fiction for an American online company
as they drummed into us not to use so much of the passive voice. I’m still
learning about all the repetitions I need to avoid and how to self-edit even
before the work even gets to an editor. It’s an ongoing process for every
writer and the more we write, the better we should become.
Do
you have a writing ‘process’
Not as far as I know. I’m still very much a pantster, as in sitting
down with my main character and a vague idea, then starting to write and seeing
where it takes me. That’s fine for short stories, but I do sometimes think I
would get on better if I had more of an outline before beginning a novel, as I
find plotting the most difficult part of longer length fiction. I’m more interested
in characters and how they affect each other.
Do
you ever experience writer’s block, and if so, how do you cope with this?
I don’t think I do, but that’s partly because I have a few different
types of writing on the go at once. I have a problem with self-discipline and a
short concentration span while writing, so I can’t stay at one project for too
long. Having a few kinds of writing on the go saves me getting bored or stuck -
I just move on to another in between. However – one editor quite rightly
suggested it might be even better to give my whole concentration to one project
at a time!
You
enjoy music and dancing. How, if at all,
do these affect/influence your writing?
Music in particular affects me very deeply and can really inspire me
when writing. I like to listen to appropriate background music – so I will choose
Celtic type music for Scottish fiction, Baroque for historical, and upbeat
modern music for contemporary fiction. Some music even gives me ideas for
stories – yet to be written. Occasionally, I listen to Classic FM and enjoy the
random choices.
Dancing is such a great form of exercise and self-expression – more
than an influence on my writing. I’d love to go back to belly dancing as you
don’t need a partner and can totally relax and move with the music. I’d love to
dance a tango with a professional dancer!
You
also enjoy films - do you find yourself watching them in a search for ideas, or
being inspired by a storyline in something you’ve seen?
Perhaps they suggest an occasional idea subconsciously but I watch
them more for pure enjoyment and escapism, and for good characterization. The
other huge influence on my writing is art. A few visits to art galleries and
different paintings have inspired some of my fiction and occasional articles -
one of these short stories won a significant prize in a competition and another
was published in My Weekly years ago.
How
do you promote your work?
I have to immerse myself in the dreaded online social media!
Seriously, though, some of it is really enjoyable as I’ve met some lovely
people online. I think it’s important to remember the social aspect and not
just as a means for promotion, which we all find uncomfortable at times. I
enjoy blogging but part of that is sharing information with other writers or
promoting their work too. Speaking at writing groups and other places also
helps in reaching readers.
One
of the many things you do is adjudicate writing competitions. What is the hardest aspect of this?
It’s an honour to be allowed to comment on other writers work in a
competition but I try to be sensitive about it, as any judge’s opinion is
subjective to some extent. I try very
hard to remain objective as to genre and style and judge each on its own merit
– though we also have to choose winners of course! It’s hard to give
constructive comments without running the risk of offending someone, but I
genuinely want other writers to get published and love to help in any way if I
can.
If
you could think of one thing that would make your writing life easier, what
would this be?
Possibly a Virtual Secretary who could take care of the necessary
online activity – but I’d probably want to do it myself! Seriously, a regular
writing income would take some of the pressure away.
What are your future writing plans?
I’m hoping to continue with all types of writing - and hopefully get
it published. The second novella in my Aphrodite and Adonis series, The Adonis Touch, will be released in
May from Tirgearr Publishing.
I have a couple of more mainstream novels that are seeking a
traditional publisher or agent representation, but I won’t keep them lingering
unpublished for too much longer as we have plenty of choices these days and I
have a lovely e-publisher. I do want to finish and develop the Victorian crime
series I started last year and perhaps try a different type of Young Adult
novel – too many ideas and not enough time to see them through!
Where
can we buy your books?
From Amazon UK and US and Smashwords. Midwinter
Masquerade and The Aphrodite Touch
are also available in all e-formats from Tirgearr Publishing: http://tirgearrpublishing.com
How
can readers connect with you?
On my main Reading and Writing blog: http://ros-readingandwriting.blogspot.com
Website: www.rosemarygemmell.com
Facebook and Twitter (@rosemarygemmell)
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/rosgemmell/
-1.jpg)


Many thanks for featuring me here, Jane!
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure, Rosemary!
DeleteGreat interview!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Vikki!
DeleteWow! Rosemary, this is a great interview. Interesting answers
ReplyDeleteto unique questions. I loved your photo and your book covers.
Delighted to leave a comment.
Thanks so much for your lovely comment, Cathy - much appreciated!
DeleteRosemary, It constantly takes my breath away to read how busy you are. Good luck with it all.If you find a virtual secretary, please report back. Anne Stenhouse
ReplyDeleteThanks, Anne - I doubt I ever will need one really but will let you know if that changes!
DeleteAs ever you give an interesting interview, Rosemary but it was a refreshing change to have different, and pertinent, questions too. I can't imagine you ever having time to have writers' block!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Gwen - I enjoyed Jane's different take on questions even if it made me think harder!
DeleteGreat interview, Rosemary! Your writing 'process' is exactly the same as mine. I've realised (from experience!) that if I try to plot a novel in advance, it simply doesn't work. Letting my characters lead me works far better than me trying to lead them!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Paula - you've reassured me that I should continue to work the way I always have!
DeleteRosemary - perhaps one of the secrets of your success is your openness to find inspiration from so many different sources.
ReplyDeleteYes, a regular writing income would be very welcome!
Thanks for that comment, Kate - hadn't thought about it that way!
DeleteA comprehensive interview, Jane and Rosemary. It illustrates how you are an inspiration to us all, Rosemary.
ReplyDeleteAw, that's very kind of you, Joan - thank you!
DeleteWhat I love most about Rosemary Gemmell is her astounding humility, despite her many awards, accolades and successes that should, by now, have given her a huge ego. You deserve every second of your glory, Rosemary. I'm never tired of reading about you.
ReplyDeleteOh, Sara - that's such a lovely comment. Thank you - and I'm trying not to let it go to my head!
DeleteMany thanks for taking time to comment, Helena!
DeleteI enjoyed getting to know more about you and your writing process here very much, Rosemary! Great interview :)
ReplyDeleteGood interview, thanks. I wish I could fit in half as much writing! Wishing you continued success.
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot for that, Jenny - I do have many procrastination moments too!
Delete