This being Scottish Book Week, I was invited to participate in a panel discussion on publishing at the Highland Literary Salon which meets monthly at the Glen Mhor hotel in Inverness. The other panelists were the delightful Rivka Spicer, prolific writer of, amongst other things, paranormal and paranormal romance novels; the eloquent Kenneth Steven, writer and poet, and the spirited Nell (Helena) Nelson, poet and publisher. The venue was a cosy public room with comfy chairs and table lamps. Undoubtedly the 'baby' of the panel, if not in years, certainly in experience of being published, I worried about whether I'd have much to contribute after introducing myself and reading a short extract from my debut novel. To my relief, I did have comments to make and the interest from the audience and ease with which as panelists we could exchange remarks with each other, did, I feel, result in a really pleasant and successful event.
An unexpected bonus - which I might have predicted - was the opportunity for networking, from which some embryonic but exciting ideas were forged about promoting Scottish authors, and, at a personal level, some helpful feedback from Nel Nelson. And, equally as attractive, although not connected with writing, was talking to Rivka, whose life includes not only a full time job and an impressive rolling out of books, but jewellery making. (I am now about to order some silver clay to start making my own accessories. And after that, I will be writing again - naturally.)
The evening concluded with an acknowledgement that Scotland is fortunate to have an organisation like the Scottish Book Trust fostering its writers in so many ways.
Many thanks to Caroline Deacon and Simon Varwell of the Highland Literary Salon for arranging this event, and to the Scottish Book Trust for funding it.
Jane
Nell Nelson: http://www.happenstancepress.co.uk/
Rivka Spicer: https://www.facebook.com/RivkaSpicerAuthor




No comments:
Post a Comment