PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Monday, 22 April 2013

my book is out!


It has finally happened.  My novel, Water's Edge, is available on Kindle format from Amazon, thanks to ThornBerry Publishing.  The process of getting here was quite a journey: from the months of rejections from agencies and publishers alike - good feedback only takes you so far - to being signed up by ThornBerry, to creating an author's website, preparing info such as jacket blurb, dedication and acknowledgements, to giving input on the cover design, to promoting the book on websites, blogs, Twitter and LinkedIn (which is probably not appropriate, but hey...)

The stage of designing the cover was interesting.  If anyone had asked me a year ago what my views were on a book cover, I'd have told them I didn't mind if it featured mouse droppings, provided I was being published.

Well, this view - predictably - evaporated.  I knew I wanted a photo and fortunately TBP liked the ones I submitted of the location, which is Brunnen, Switzerland, taken on holiday there.  We agreed on the one to use.  What I hadn't anticipated was that suddenly font type and colour would assume such importance.  That receiving a tester cover with colours which didn't do it for me set my spirits plummeting.  A flurry of emails passed between TBP and me, with me in between times experimenting with both font and colour.   I'm delighted with the final result.

Thanks to friends and fellow writers who have interviewed me on their blogs/connected websites:

Alison Summers:     http://belledelettres.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/debut-novel-by-jane-riddell-waters-edge/
Babs Melville/Illicit Ink:       http://illicitink.net/
Anjana Chowdhury:     http://anjanachowdhury.blogspot.co.uk/p/authors-interviews.html

So, what is Water's Edge about?  It is contemporary fiction,  described by ThornBerry as follows:

When Madalena invites her four children to Switzerland for a family gathering, she isn’t prepared for the excess baggage of their lives they bring along – secrets they are compelled to keep and those that must be divulged; the compromises they make, and, ultimately, what can and can't be resolved  – for Madalena, too, has things about her past that she would prefer not to reveal.  

Set against a backdrop of mountains and lakes, Water's Edge is a woven tapestry of love, lies and family, beautifully told.

To watch the promotional video, click onhttp://vimeo.com/65175162

To check out Water's Edge on Amazon, click on: co.uk 

Okay, that's enough about me for one day.  Will there ever come a time when I can promote myself without feeling how I do when I've eaten too much chocolate?

Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment