Today, March 4, 2013, marks the release of Gina Rossi’s second novel, Life
After 6 Tequilas, by ThornBerry Publishing. Gina lives and writes full-time on the French Riviera.
Thanks for inviting me to Papillon, Jane. It’s great to be able to spend a little time with your readers.
What sort of things do you write?
Historical and modern fiction, always with a romantic element, and in the true romantic style. I am a huge fan of the happy ending. When hero and heroine have been through hell and high water – and the reader churning along with them ‒ I feel it’s the very least they all deserve. In real life, we cannot ever guarantee that all will be well in the end, but a writer can gift that guarantee to the reader, affording him / her a safe escape from the everyday trials of reality.
My debut historical novel, The Wild Heart, and a contemporary, romantic novella, To Hear You Smile, were both published in 2012.
When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
As a child, I read all the adventure books of the time and I remember thinking, of my favourites, ‘How did the writer DO that?’ By the time I was a teenager, I was submitting short love stories to a local ladies’ magazine. I cringe to think of that now. I bet they’re still laughing. Years of scribbling and journaling for the family followed and I only got down to writing books later in life, once the children had grown up and flown the nest. I bought the manuals, sat down and got started.
What does writing mean to you?
Several things. It’s a job, and it needs to be treated as such or you’ll never get anything done. You get up in the morning, dash around doing chores etc., and then you sit down and plunge in. Secondly, it’s a job that stays with you every waking second of the day and most of the night except – I find – the two or three hours before dawn; that’s when you get some peace. No wonder so many writers were, are mad! Also, it’s total freedom. You can make up anything you like – any character, any situation in the real or other world. There’s absolutely nothing to stop you. It’s fabulous.
What situations / environments inspire you?
“Inspiration exists,” said Pablo Picasso, “but it has to find you working.” Too true. Inspiration is something the writer has to seek, or tune in to. It’s hardly going to hit you between the eyes while you’re lolling about doing nothing! Having said that, there’s inspiration everywhere. For example, I love, and am always inspired by a rich setting. I have to be really careful not to get over-enthusiastic and go over the top. And, I’m endlessly fascinated by happiness and what it actually is. That inspires me no end. How come some people have all the money in the world yet are deeply miserable and others with far less live blissful, abundant lives? Is it something to do with love? Peace? Self-esteem? Success? Attitude? Belief? Is it genetic? Can it be taught? To me, it’s an eternal question, the golden thread in millions of the world’s stories.
Do you have a routine where your writing is concerned?
Yes, I work in the morning. That is, I edit, rewrite, research, pay attention to social media etc. I write fresh stuff in the afternoon. That’s the way my metabolism and brain works, although I’d rather it was the other way around.
What are the good things about writing?
The discipline, the self-motivation, the routine and the satisfaction of seeing the word count increasing day by day. Oddly, there’s a freedom in all that. It’s up to you.
Are there any negative things?
Apart from the fact that writing renders you anti-social and insane, yes, there are some negative things, and this is why the aspiring writer needs to grow a thick skin, pronto! Most agents and publishers ignore or reject you. Some readers will give you awful reviews. People close to you (so you thought) will pass negative comments and give you odd looks. You have to learn to ignore this – after all, you don’t write your books for people who don’t like them, do you? Another thing, anyone planning to write for money should beware, because you could starve.
How did / do you teach yourself to write?
I wanted to go off and attend a number of writing courses because that sounded like a lot of fun mingling in new dress with wine glass in hand etc., but, knowing myself, I bought some ‘How To’ books and stayed at home in the bunker, head down. First, I wrote a book. Then I got out the manuals to see where I’d gone wrong (everywhere). There’s so much out there, written by successful writers, and some favourites I read over and over like Stephen King, Donald Maass, Julia Cameron, Patricia O’Conner (imagine, a grammar book that makes you laugh), and Natalie Goldberg. All these helped me get going and boost me when I need a little kick.
What aspect of the craft do you think is most difficult to learn?
There are a million styles and techniques. Finding one and sticking to it can be very difficult. Also, the most enjoyable, lingering books are usually ones where the writer leads the reader by the imagination. Learning to ‘show’ not ‘tell’ - subtly - is one of the hardest lessons. Developing a unique voice is another.
What are the drawbacks of asking someone to read your work?
If it’s a loved one, they may not be critical enough. They may also be so familiar with the story that they cannot see the holes. Although, having said that, both my daughters are the most ruthless editors under the sun. They even ‘spot’ missing words! Their comments range from “EW!” to “Gross!” to “Holy s***balls” and other totally unmentionable, no-holds-barred commentary.
What are the pitfalls of writing?
Apart from chocolate, doubt is the main one. You’re crashing along, spewing thousands of words a week and there are these nagging questions: What is this all about? Is this making sense? Does this really matter? Who cares? It’s the voice of that inner critic you’re supposed to ignore, but it’s very difficult. Also it’s easy to become (more) anti-social and act grumpy if you’re pulled away from a scene in which you’re deeply involved. And, people think you’re mad, especially when they bust you talking animatedly to yourself!
What changes in how you write have you been aware of over the years?
Improvement, I fervently hope! More efficiency and effectiveness. I write far more economically now, automatically (well, almost) rejecting adverbs and those miserable little filler words that can creep in when you’re not looking. The result is a far more approachable first draft, something I can actually work with. I haven’t chucked out my early writing. I keep it as a benchmark of how bad I was, and read it when that inner critic is pointing out that I haven’t improved. Sometimes it helps.
What advice would you give someone wanting to become a writer?
Do you know how much work is involved in writing a book? Just writing it? Research, editing, proofing, promotion etc., aside? No? Okay, sit down at your desk and write I want to be a writer over and over until you’ve written it 16 000 times. Finished? That’s 96 000 words you’ve written. That’s equivalent to a decent length book. Still want to be a writer? Go for it.
You’ve lived in various countries. What impact, if any, do you think this has had on your writing?
When you’re writing, you’re travelling in your mind so your physical location doesn’t really matter all that much. Or does it? Writers often have a restlessness that keeps them moving, most likely brought on by that endless search for happiness, truth or whodunnit? However, if we are to believe Arthur Hailey, “ Don’t put down too many roots in terms of a domicile. I have lived in four countries and I think my life as a writer and our family’s life have been enriched by this. I think a writer has to experience new environments.” Hailey goes on to remind us that no man can really succeed if he doesn’t move away from where he was born. He believes this is particularly true for the writer.
If nothing else, new environments are visually inspiring and they fill the well with re-location trivia like how to ship furniture across the world, import a car, house hunt and buy bread in a foreign language. Nothing goes to waste in the life of a writer!
Having grown up in South Africa, has the political situation there affected how and what you write?
Yes, without question, but not in the way you’d perhaps expect. When I started writing my historical novel, The Wild Heart, set in the Cape of Good Hope around 1800, I wanted to extract a feel good story from Africa and bring the magnificent landscapes to life. South Africa has suffered an ugly past. Now, as the wounds struggle to heal, it’s become a colourful, turbulent country like a multi-cultural cauldron about to bubble over at any point. As a result of the long fight for freedom and the ongoing battle against corruption and crime, there is a huge amount of ‘struggle’ literature that has a vital place in the country’s past but I didn’t want to be part of that. I deliberately chose a quiet historical period and used that as a backdrop to tell my story.
Have you ever suffered from writers block and if so, how did you get over it?
Luckily, no. But I am the most terrible procrastinator and can think up all sorts of excuses to wiggle out of a dead end in my manuscript without solving the problem. You have to work yourself back and see where you took the wrong turn, then carry on in another direction. Sitting back, eating biscuits and waiting for a flash of inspiration doesn’t usually produce results though I always give it a whirl.
Can you tell us a bit about your latest book?
My new book, Life After 6 Tequilas, tells the story of Beth, an upbeat, single, career-driven, well-organised, London mum – well-organised until her meticulous child care roster implodes and she is forced to leave her baby with Davit, a total stranger. Not only is he a stranger, he’s Eastern European, and a man. He makes her face the stark fact that she’s living a lie. In spite of this, and moral and cultural differences, their relationship flourishes, but Davit must lead Beth on a necessary journey to the truth before either of them can commit.
Where did the inspiration for the book come from?
I heard about someone who was in a similar predicament, who was forced to leave her child with an untrained nanny who was an absolute stranger. No one would do that, I thought – but she did, and lived to tell the tale. The story went around in my head for a few years, then I spotted my hero, a Georgian rugby player, on the sports’ page of the local newspaper and I was off and running.
What else about the book may pique the reader’s interest?
Beth, a young mother struggles with the various social, professional and financial issues and challenges that urban life hurls at her. I really hope the real-life scenarios and experiences will strike a chord with the readers and that they will enjoy the humour of the situations in which she finds herself. Also, the book is set mainly in London in 2011 and I’ve used traditional and one-off events to mark the passing of time during that particular year. There is so much we forget in the course of a year, only briefly remembered when we watch the Sky News reviews after Christmas!
What are you working on now?
I’m working on the story of Kate, who’s seriously jeopardised her career via a sordid affair in London, and Ben, a British Army veteran who’s running from his past and avoiding his future, worried that he’s insane. They come together in a large, desolate, crumbling wreck of a house in the wintry, rain-sodden Alpes de Haute Provence. It’s a B&B in an advanced state of faded splendour that belongs to Kate’s guardian, where Ben has taken a temporary job as a cook so he can hide. Kate tolerates him until his other-wordly quality can no longer be ignored. Who ‒ what ‒ is, Ben? She starts hearing and seeing things, starts to mistrust and doubt herself, and...
That’s as far as I’ve got. More coming soon.
How can readers connect with you?
I’d be delighted if readers joined me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gina.rossi.7 Twitterhttps://twitter.com/Ginagina7 and Pinteresthttp://pinterest.com/ginarossiwriter/
Thanks, Gina.
To purchase Life After 6 Tequilas, go to:
co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-After-6-Tequilas-ebook/dp/B00BO1RP8E/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1362320592&sr=1-4
.com: http://www.amazon.com/Life-After-6-Tequilas-ebook/dp/B00BO1RP8E/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1362322185&sr=1-3&keywords=gina+rossi



No comments:
Post a Comment