PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Monday, 19 September 2011

not yet done with advertising





I don't just get a bee in my bonnet, I have a hive's worth of them pursuing me everywhere I go. I wish I were different, but sometimes the pay-off is a laugh.

Tonight, for example. I was innocently undertaking a recky of apartments in Instanbul when I stumbled across one with a reasonable number of photographs. These included two of the bathroom, both taken from the same vantage point - with one difference: one shot featured the loo seat down, the other showed the loo seat up. A welcome variation on the 'his and hers', wash hand basins, I suppose. I wish I were clever enough to scan in those photos. But that, no doubt, would be infringing some regulation or other.


































In my recent diatribe about advertising I forgot to mention the frustration/anger experienced when I go onto a website looking for accommodation in a specific location, click on a button which promises to take me to the relevant page and find myself somewhere thousands of miles away. For example, I could be checking out self-catering accommodation in Kent and end up looking at photos of five star hotels in Rio de Janeiro. Please could someone explain to me - in simple language - how this happens? Is it just crap website design or am I doing something inexplicably stupid? Or does some website design punter truly believe a person looking for a cheapish holiday in the south of England might suddenly change her mind -due to finding out - mid-search - she's won the lottery or having a deranged moment - and think: actually I don't mind spending £5000. Brazil does look rather good... DOES THIS HAPPEN??? Answers please by email, or send a postcard to: The Professional Nutter, north Edinburgh.






Truly madly yours

Jane

4 comments:

  1. No. Crap website design. The internet is basically one huge flea market, with more fleas and useless tat. Keep me in mind for that trip to Rio de Janeiro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. However if I find myself checking out palaces in Dubai and end up viewing caravans in Saltcoats, would you still be interested?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course. Silly. Saltcoats is the Rio de Janeiro of the East.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, of course. How could I forget? I learned to samba at the 2008 carnival in Saltcoats.

    ReplyDelete