PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Wednesday, 21 July 2010

heat, heat and more heat and did I mention it's hot?





















Yes, it's still hot, temperatures of around 35 celsius during the day. We are gradually learning how to deal with this. For some reason it's harder now than it was during our three years here. Coping techniques:

1. A rumbly old air conditioning unit has been installed in the room I've appropriated for my writing. At least the intermittent thud means I'm incapable of nodding off for long over my laptop.

2. Our son has abandoned sleeping in the upstairs bedroom and now bunks out on a mattress on the sitting room floor with the French windows wide open. My partner removes his laptop from the dining room table at night in case of theft. We have no anxieties about someone attempting to steal our son.

3. We have moved into a mid-Atlantic time zone, spending more of the night hours up and about and fewer of the day ones doing that. It's actually rather pleasant being in the garden from 1 am onwards.

4. And the obvious: tepid showers and lightweight clothing. The long-sleeved items in the wardrobe mock us whenever we open the doors to find another flimsy top. Though I did find myself putting on a light weight cardigan last Saturday around 10 pm. It felt strange having my arms covered again.

5. I'd like to think that we - or at least I - am eating less but I couldn't swear to it.


We've been on some lovely drives into the Belledonne, Bauges, Chartreuse and Vercors mountains. We watched the Tour de France in the Maurienne Valley and at Laffrey. We've cycled down mountain passes, and one of us has cycled up them. We've been down to Avignon, up to Geneva. We've seen friends. And as well as all this, I am actually working quite hard though it's difficult to know whether I write between getting out into the countryside or vice versa.

Most contentedly yours


Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment