PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Saturday, 12 June 2010

the sociability of research

As you'd expect, different methods of research are called for at different times.



Some of this. Sociability rating: 1 out 10



Plenty of this. Sociability rating: 0 out of 10




More recently this. Sociability rating: 7 out of 10

Last week I interviewed an identical twin for my novel research. It was fascinating. I'd read up about various aspects of this phenomenon but nothing can be more useful than talking to someone in the situation about the separateness versus the togetherness, the positives versus the negatives of having an identical twin sister. Straight from the horse's mouth, as the cliché goes.

This evening I interviewed a Polish translator to find out more about how Polish people speak the English language. Again, you can research this on websites, but hearing someone talk allows you to capture syntactical components. The venue was a cheerful and, as it turned out, crowded west end restaurant. I used my lap top to record our conversation and despite the high level of noise surrounding us, I can actually hear my interviewee. And I enjoyed my meal. The fun starts now in transcribing 70 minutes' worth of material.

Today I finished reading a Marguerite Duras novella, Moderato Cantabile, an intriguing story, raising more questions than it answers and an excellent example of the effectiveness of austere prose. Having recently lived in France I would like to announce that I read it in French. Instead I read the translated version.



Honestly yours

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment