PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Sunday, 2 May 2010

seriously inconsequential



Today we cycled round Loch Tummel. It was cold and I imagined the campsites full of people clad in four layers of Damart underwear and imbibing more than the recommended safe intake of whisky. Nevertheless there was a beguiling whiff of woodsmoke, a determined chorus of birdsong and a respectful nod from roadside daffodils as I cycled past. All went well until I turned off on the road to Aberfeldy. Shortly after I heard what sounded like gunshot and found a miserable looking tube of tyre half- detached from my back wheel.

I parked my bike, plonked myself down on the grassy verge and waited for the sag wagon. Not one passing car stopped to ask how much I charge, no doubt due to my attire and general demeanour. No-one inquired as to whether or not I was injured. The only attention I received was some wry smiles. I leant against the wall, watching the clouds float ever so slowly across the sky, wondering if in the absence of activity some erudite thoughts might drift into my mind. None appeared. By now I should know this is unlikely to happen.

Last night I reviewed my first several thousand words of Duirinish - and groaned. What at the time seemed paced and moving prose was turgid and clichéd. I had two reactions to this. Firstly disappointment. This was no better than what I'd written in the past. Secondly, I realised that a year ago I'd have been pleased with this so I must be making progress, even if a rewrite was called for. In other words I was consciously incompetent - see blog of April 26. Rewrite I did.

One day I'll closely read Anita Brookner to see exactly how she achieves her languid but compelling style. It's more than just a fresh and rich use of language. In the meantime I should accept I don't have the wherewithal to emulate her.


Inspirations for writing? Reading the good work of others. Music. Sometimes films. Recently I saw "I am love", a contemporary film set in Milan, with a stunning performance by Tilda Swinton, beautifully arty filming techniques and a rousing soundtrack. I'd recommend it: showing at the Filmhouse until May 13. Afterwards I felt the urge to go home, 'decorset' ( metaphorically) and write some powerful prose. In fact, I had dinner and watched an Inspector Morse DVD.


We're exhorted to be confident writers, bold ones. Heading for the under-explaining end of the spectrum rather than the over, i.e. trusting the reader to understand, contributes to a writerly text, that is, one where the reader is free to interpret as they may. Experimenting with narrative technique includes being innovative with punctuation. Yes, under-used colons and semi-colons should rejoice. This might be the decade where you come into your own, as possibilities for job expansion and enrichment open up. Colons, your function no longer need be confined to introducing lists and quotations. The news is equally encouraging for the humbler semi-colon, hitherto relegated to joining two independent but connected clauses. Both you colons and semi-colons can have enhanced roles as emphasising phrases or building momentum in a sentence. High aims. Worthy ones. As the French say, on va voir - we will see.

Anticipatingly yours


Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment