
It's official. We have mice. I go down to London for a few days and what has hitherto been an occasional visit has now become a regular occurrence. The image opposite might look quite sweet, the sort of animal you'd have as a pet, but I'm freaked out.
I've tried to rationalise: they're not so very different to the gerbils we owned so what's the problem? Firstly, we didn't buy them, secondly they move more rapidly and thirdly we don't know when they'll appear. It's one thing having an animal in a cage, quite another when it shoots across the floor; even more unnerving when it perches on a shelf waiting to see what you'll do next. So we've set the more humane traps, tempting them with peanut butter ( apparently a favourite). Two days later none of them have fallen for it. Perhaps they're more instinctive than we realise.

I went to Harrods in London.
The four day course was intensive but well-taught. Two days of proofreading, two of copy-editing. I now know the difference between a hyphen and en and em marks, when to insert the full stop inside brackets and when outside, the concentration required to be thorough. The challenge, of course, is not to intervene more than necessary. That will be my foible.
I didn't buy anything in Harrods.
I enjoyed the buzz of Covent Garden and Leicester Square, the porcelain exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum, walking around elegant, leafy terraces and eating out before writing in my Lilliputian room.
Restedly yours
Jane
Great to have you back!
ReplyDeleteWhy, thank you...
ReplyDelete