PAPILLON

WELCOME TO PAPILLON, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL RUMINATIONS OF A WRITER AND EDITOR

Thursday, 8 April 2010

adverbs and yorkie bars


There's a reason why Yorkie bars carry the warning 'not for girls'. The last one I ate cost me £800 and in case you're wondering if R.S. McColls have lost the place with their pricing policy ( I've seen Aero bars there costing 83p when in other shops they are only 65p), I will explain how such expense occurred: simply this, during an overly enthusiastic bite on my bar, a well-filled tooth suddenly surrendered and cracked. This resulted in an emergency visit to the dentist, and on futher examination, the news that I needed two crowns. Such is life.

The reason I end my blogs with an adverb (apologetically/anxiously etc. yours) is one of the most profound compassion. The family of words known as 'adverbs' is considered, in the writer's world, to be the slushpile of vocabulary. Avoid them at all cost, we're urged. Choose a verb rich and precise enough to be self-contained. Devise dialogue clear and strong enough so that explanation of it in taglines is unnecessary. Whilst agreeing with this wisdom I have a choked-up feeling when I think of all those words located in dictionaries, aware of their redundancy. No-one, it seems, has considered their inevitable low self-esteem. There are no support groups, that I've heard of, for those poor, worthless creatures, no options for retraining, relocating, revisiting their potential worth.

If I continue blogging, eventually - sooner rather than later you could be forgiven for hoping - I'll run out of words ending with '-ly'.

In the meantime,

Truly, grovellingly yours ( because I wasn't going to blog again until tomorrow, at least)


Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment